Bias Rating: RIGHT
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Country: Australia (25/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: MEDIUM CREDIBILITY
Founded in 2005, MercatorNet is an Australian online magazine. MercatorNet describes their ideals as “Reframing ethical and policy debates regarding human dignity, not dollars and cents or political calculation.” The editor of the website is Michael Cook. According to their about page, they are “reframing ethical and policy debates regarding human dignity, not dollars and cents or political calculation.”
Funded by / Ownership
The New Media Foundation owns and publishes MercatorNet. Donations are the primary source of revenue.
Analysis / Bias
In review, MercatorNet uses loaded language both in their headlines and articles. Story selection heavily favors conservative causes and a right-wing political agenda, such as: “The left is way more dangerous than loony white supremacists,” “Hilllary Clinton is right: You can be a feminist and pro-life,” and “Is Trump the new Constantine?” MercatorNet also sometimes publishes Onion like satirical articles such as “Exclusive: Trump to get Nobel Peace Prize.” MercatorNet typically sources credible media such as The Conversation, The Guardian, Huff Post, National Review, as well as national sources like The West Australian and occasionally questionable sources such as The Daily Mail.
Editorially, all stories favor the right and often denigrate the left. An ad evidences this to subscribe to their newsletter stating if you are sick of “Woke” News. In general, this is a right-wing site that is high in bias and sometimes uses poor sources.
Failed Fact Checks
- An IFCN fact-checker has not fact-checked them.
Overall, we rate MercatorNet Right Biased based on story selection and editorial position that favors the right. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to poor sources which fail fact checks and one-sided reporting that is not always contextual. (M. Huitsing 11/21/2017) Updated (11/3/2021)
Last Updated on November 3, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/30/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 30, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Healing Oracleby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 30, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/29/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 29, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Spectator USAby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 29, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/28/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 28, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Bounding Into Comicsby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 28, 2022 at 8:00 am