These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward liberal causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage liberal causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Left Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate Mashable Left biased based on story selection and editorial positions that routinely favor the left. We also rate them Mostly Factual in reporting, rather than High, due to not labeling opinion content and a failed fact check.
Factual Reporting: MOSTLY FACTUAL
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
Mashable is a digital media website founded by Pete Cashmore in 2005. The site’s primary focus is on technology, lifestyle, and entertainment news. According to their about page “Mashable is a global, multi-platform media and entertainment company. Powered by its own proprietary technology, Mashable is the go-to source for tech, digital culture, and entertainment content for its dedicated and influential audience around the globe.”
Funded by / Ownership
In 2017, Mashable was bought by publicly-traded company Ziff Davis for 50 million dollars. Revenue is derived through advertising.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Mashable publishes both aggregated and original content that generally relates to technology, lifestyle, and entertainment. Headlines and articles typically contain moderately loaded language and are properly sourced such as this: Meghan Markle opens up about the impact media scrutiny has had on her. When reporting on politics, Mashable has a negative opinion of President Trump as evidenced by this article The Turkish president apparently threw Trump’s ridiculous letter in the trash, and this article President Trump just literally begged us to impeach him. Further, they also report negatively on conservatives in general, Even a Republican study can’t confirm anti-conservative bias on Facebook. In general, political content always favors the left with Mashable not clearly labeling opinion content.
A factual search reveals one failed fact check.
- R.E.M. is suing Donald Trump over unauthorized campaign use of their song “It’s the End of the World.” – FALSE
Overall, we rate Mashable Left biased based on story selection and editorial positions that routinely favor the left. We also rate them Mostly Factual in reporting, rather than High, due to not labeling opinion content and a failed fact check. (D. Van Zandt 1/21/2017) Updated (10/19/2019)
Last Updated on June 12, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Japanese and U.S. officials walk out of APEC meet to protest Russiaby newsfactsnetwork on May 22, 2022 at 11:34 am
- Monkeypox is a ‘concern for everybody’ and US is looking into treatments and vaccines, says Bidenby newsfactsnetwork on May 22, 2022 at 11:26 am
- Hillary Clinton approved Trump-Russia leak to media, campaign manager saysby newsfactsnetwork on May 22, 2022 at 11:22 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/22/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 22, 2022 at 10:15 am
- U.S. Covid-19 Cases Top 7-Day Average Of 100,000 For First Time Since Februaryby newsfactsnetwork on May 22, 2022 at 8:44 am