These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appeals to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate Jalopnik Left-Center biased based on story selection that moderately favors the left and High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing of information and a clean fact check record.
Bias Rating: LEFT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Jalopnik is a website publishing opinion and news content related to automobiles originally launched in 2004 as part of the Gawker Media network. Univision Communications bought Gawker Media in August 2016 and rebranded it as Gizmodo Media Group. Finally, in 2019, private equity firm Great Hill Partners purchased the Gizmodo Media Group and rebranded them as G/O Media.
Funded by / Ownership
Jalopnik is owned by G/O Media Inc., a media company that runs Gizmodo, Deadspin, Jezebel, The Onion, The Root, and other sister websites. G/O was formed in early 2019 when Great Hill Partners, a private equity firm, purchased the websites from Univision. Advertising generates revenue for Jalopnik.
Analysis / Bias
Jalopnik primarily covers automobiles and the industry through a daily newsletter, podcast, and news stories published on the website. News about the auto industry often contains moderately loaded emotional language such as This Conversation With A Dealer Will Hurt Your Brain. All stories reviewed were properly sourced from credible media outlets.
While Jalopnik does not produce political editorials, they report on politics related to the automobile industry. For example, in this story, ExxonMobil Lobbyists Admitted That The Company’s Carbon Tax Support Was A Lie: Report, there is a left-leaning political perspective regarding the environment. In another story, they favor the Biden administration while denigrating former president Trump The Biden Administration Is About To Get Serious On Emissions Standards: Report. A quote reads, “This also all probably hinges, long-term, on who wins the 2024 presidential election, and if it’s Trump, then we will all be forced to watch the shittiest rerun in American history.” In general, Jalopnik presents news with a left-leaning bias that is well-sourced and factual.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the last 5 years
Overall, we rate Jalopnik Left-Center biased based on story selection that moderately favors the left and High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing of information and a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 8/06/2021)
Last Updated on January 24, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Biden urges all Americans to reject ‘poison’ of white supremacy after Buffalo mass shootingby newsfactsnetwork on May 17, 2022 at 5:49 pm
- Sweden Signs NATO Admission Request; Finnish Lawmakers Set To Formally Endorse Moveby newsfactsnetwork on May 17, 2022 at 1:15 pm
- Dems turn focus to racist ‘replacement theory’ post-Buffalo shootingby Media Bias Fact Check on May 17, 2022 at 12:36 pm
- Truth Social has no ad revenue, but banks on exclusive Donald Trump postsby newsfactsnetwork on May 17, 2022 at 12:25 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/17/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 17, 2022 at 10:15 am