These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate the New Humanitarian Left-Center biased based on story selection and political affiliation. They are High for factual reporting based on proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: Switzerland 6/180
According to the New Humanitarian about page, they are humanitarian news service and analysis site that focuses on humanitarian stories in regions that are often forgotten, under-reported, misunderstood or ignored.
The New Humanitarian was launched in 1995 Nairobi /Kenya and until January 2015, the New Humanitarian was a project of the United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs.” In January 2015, they re-launched as an independent, non-profit media venture that is headquartered in Geneva, and governed by Swiss law. The New Humanitarian is led by Heba Aly and Howard French is the president.
The New Humanitarian is best known for alerting the public and the humanitarian community on crises before they happen, they indicate their mission statement as: “the New Humanitarian delivers unique, authoritative and independent reporting from the frontlines of crises to inspire and produce a more effective humanitarian response.”
Funded by / Ownership
The New Humanitarian is a non-profit that is funded through donations.
Analysis / Bias
In review, the New Humanitarian publishes analysis with minimally loaded words in their headlines “UN bid to improve migrant, refugee response flounders as political will evaporates” and they utilize credible government sources and other credible UN humanitarian information portals such as ReliefWeb. However, they also utilize left-biased sources such as Democracy Now, and left-leaning sources such as NY Times, Foreignpolicy, and hrw.org. Further, they are critical of the Trump administration’s lack of attention to humanitarian problems: “New relief chief, Harvey deportations, and Trump M.I.A. on Africa: The Cheat Sheet.”
Failed Fact Checks
Overall, we rate the New Humanitarian Left-Center biased based on story selection and political affiliation. They are High for factual reporting based on proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (M. Huitsing 12/1/2017) Updated (12/2/2020)
Last Updated on December 2, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- U.S. COVID-19 cases increased threefold over past month
- Ex-Minneapolis police officer pleads guilty to manslaughter in George Floyd’s death
- Cancer drug may treat severe COVID-19, study finds
- Facebook promised to remove “sensitive” ads. Here’s what it left behind.by Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 2:39 pm
- Schumer implores Fox News leaders to stop ‘amplification’ of ‘replacement theory’by Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 11:54 am