These sources have minimal bias and use very few loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appeals to emotion or stereotypes). The reporting is factual and usually sourced. These are the most credible media sources. See all Least Biased Sources.
- Overall, we rate Ipsos as left-leaning Least Biased due to evidence of over-estimating Democratic candidates in polling. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to producing reasonably accurate polling results.
Bias Rating: LEAST BIASED
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Organization/Foundation
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 1975, Ipsos is a market research and polling company headquartered in Paris, France. Didier Truchot is the founder and chairman of the Company. Ipsos uses global surveys and polls to determine market potential and the viability of products. They operate in other countries through subsidiaries, such as Ipsos Mori UK Ltd.
Funded by / Ownership
A reference document dated 2018 indicates that the largest shareholder of Ipsos is Didier Truchot; however, Ipsos does not disclose detailed shareholder information on its about page. The sale of market research and polling data generates revenue.
Analysis / Bias
In review, the site publishes surveys and research on EU-funded projects such as here. Generally, they publish the surveys with minimal bias in wording like “52% globally say cycling in their area is too dangerous,” This survey is properly sourced to reports, with the reports available to download. However, the downloaded version is the same as the PowerPoint presentation report; in other words, there is no detail in the downloaded version.
Ipsos also uses moderately loaded language in some headlines such as this: “America’s hidden common ground on police reform and racism in the United States.” For this research, Ipsos partnered with Public Agenda, the National Issues Forums Institute, the Charles F. Kettering Foundation, and USA Today.
Further, Ipsos conducts political polls, and according to pollster rater FiveThirtyEight, Ipsos was accurate 75% of the time within 21 days of the USA election in 2020. They also demonstrate that Ipsos overestimated Democrats’ chances in 2020, indicating a left-leaning bias. Generally, they are a reliable pollster who slightly skews left.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years. Fact-checkers use them.
Overall, we rate Ipsos as left-leaning Least Biased due to evidence of over-estimating Democratic candidates in polling. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to producing reasonably accurate polling results. (M. Huitsing 06/15/2022)
Last Updated on June 15, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 07/01/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on July 1, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: WFMZby Media Bias/Fact Check on July 1, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/30/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 30, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: NaturalPediaby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 30, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Ratings show Fox News viewers tuning out Jan. 6 hearingsby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 29, 2022 at 4:29 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/29/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 29, 2022 at 10:30 am