- Overall, we rate Iowa Capital Dispatch Left Biased based on editorial positions that routinely favor the progressive left. We also rate them Mostly Factual in reporting rather than High due to a lack of transparency.
Bias Rating: LEFT
Factual Reporting: MOSTLY FACTUAL
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Organization/Foundation
Traffic/Popularity: Minimal Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: MEDIUM CREDIBILITY
Launched in 2020, the Iowa Capital Dispatch based in Des Moines, Iowa, is a news website covering political news from a liberal perspective. They are part of the States Newsroom Network, which consists of news sites based in 15 states’ capitals. Their about statement reads, “Iowans value integrity in their government. Free and independent journalism is what keeps our public servants accountable and responsive to the people. That’s why Iowa Capital Dispatch, a nonprofit, independent source for quality journalism, is working every day to keep you informed about what government officials are doing with your money, your freedom, and your safety.”
The current editor-in-chief is Kathie Obradovich.
Funded by / Ownership
According to their about page, the Iowa Capital Dispatch is part of States Newsroom, a national 501(c)(3) nonprofit supported by grants and a coalition of donors and readers. The website is transparent as they link to the States Newsroom donors page listing all donors over $500. Donors include Google Initiatives, Thomas R. Brown Family Private Foundation, and up until 2019, they were a part of the Hopewell Fund. The Hopewell Fund has made donations of 4.9 million to Priorities USA, a Super PAC supporting the Democratic party. Donations to States Newsroom generate Revenue for Iowa Capital Dispatch.
Analysis / Bias
Iowa Capital Dispatch publishes original news reporting on politics and policy from the capital of Iowa. Coverage focuses on the legislature, the environment, and how national policy affects Iowans. Articles and headlines promote liberal perspectives through moderately loaded language Lawsuit accuses Iowa Legislature of ‘logrolling’ and creating a utility monopoly. Proper sourcing is used linking to the Iowa Legislature.
Editorially, the Iowa Capital Dispatch files their opinion pieces under “commentary.” A review of dozens shows an imbalance of opinions favoring the left. For example, they promote LGBT equality, Sports remain hostile territory for LGBTQ Americans, and advocacy for gun control Gun control fails quickly in Congress after each mass shooting, but states often act – including to loosen gun laws. Finally, they frequently report negatively on Republican politicians such as this Iowans deserve a governor, not a ruler. In general, the news is reported factually; however, op-eds strongly favor a liberal perspective.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate the Iowa Capital Dispatch Left Biased based on editorial positions that routinely favor the left. We also rate them Mostly Factual in reporting due to a lack of transparency in disclosing their liberal perspective. (D. Van Zandt 4/15/2021)
Last Updated on June 10, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 26, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: End the Fedby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 26, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/25/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 25, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Electronic Intifadaby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 25, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/24/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 24, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Vindicatorby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 24, 2022 at 8:00 am