These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate Heavy, slightly Left-Center biased based on story selection that sometimes favors the left and High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Bias Rating: LEFT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Country: USA (45/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 1998, Heavy.com is a news and information website based in New York City. Heavy.com is self-described as “a real-time news and information portal” and, on its site, claims to reach “25 million unique visitors per month.” According to their about page, “Heavy’s Gift and Shopping Guides provide 16 million shoppers a year with information to assist them in making the right buying decision at the time of purchase. Heavy’s entertainment guides help 2 million readers per year determine “what to watch” in a world of proliferating streaming content options.”
Heavy also has a Spanish platform at Ahoramismo.com.
Funded by / Ownership
Heavy is owned by Heavy Inc. and was originally funded with 32.8 million dollars by Polaris Partners. Advertising generates revenue.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Heavy does not perform original reporting of news, but rather is known for their fast five facts, where they take a story from a credible news outlet and bullet point five facts about the story. Topics range from entertainment to breaking news and politics. Heavy uses mild to moderate loaded language in headlines such as this: How Much Will Trump’s Fourth of July Salute to America Cost? This story is properly sourced to the Washington Post, CNBC, and USA Today. According to Slate, Heavy does not do original reporting, but the speed they can compile their fast facts is very quick. It has also been this reviewer’s observation that Heavy is often one of the first to break down a fast-breaking story. Heavy present news with balance, but more stories would appeal to the left.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate Heavy, slightly Left-Center biased based on story selection that sometimes favors the left and High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (11/13/2016) Updated (D. Van Zandt 7/20/2020)
Last Updated on April 26, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Australia set to get new PM after Scott Morrison’s ruling conservatives projected to lose electionby Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 12:53 pm
- Biden says US has offered vaccines to North Korea but got no responseby newsfactsnetwork on May 21, 2022 at 12:43 pm
- MBFC’s Daily Source Bias Check: International Press Instituteby Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 10:15 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/21/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 10:15 am
- U.S. stops controlled burns nationwide after New Mexico disasterby Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 3:43 am