A questionable source exhibits one or more of the following: extreme bias, consistent promotion of propaganda/conspiracies, poor or no sourcing to credible information, a complete lack of transparency, and/or is fake news. Fake News is the deliberate attempt to publish hoaxes and/or disinformation for the purpose of profit or influence (Learn More). Sources listed in the Questionable Category may be very untrustworthy and should be fact-checked on a per article basis. Please note sources on this list are not considered fake news unless specifically written in the reasoning section for that source. See all Questionable sources.
- Overall, we rate Hannity.com Far-Right Biased and Questionable based on poor sourcing, promotion of propaganda, and conspiracy theories, as well as numerous failed fact checks.
Reasoning: Poor Sourcing, Propaganda, Conspiracy, Numerous Failed Fact Checks
Bias Rating: EXTREME RIGHT
Factual Reporting: LOW
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: LOW CREDIBILITY
Founded in 1998, Hannity.com is the website for conservative radio and talk show host Sean Hannity. The website features a live stream of his radio show and summarized news articles from other sources.
Sean Hannity is a staunch supporter of former President Donald Trump and spoke to him almost daily via telephone during his presidency. Hannity’s relation with Trump has been described as “shadow” chief-of-staff.
Funded by / Ownership
Hannity.com is owned by Premiere Radio Networks, which iHeartMedia owns. iHeartMedia owns approximately 850 radio stations across the USA. Advertising generates revenue.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Hannity.com publishes summarized conservative news stories and a podcast of Sean Hannity’s radio show. Articles and headlines often contain emotionally loaded wording such as WHO’S THE BOSS? Trump ‘Terminates’ US Relationship with World Health Organization. This news summary leads to the full Fox News article. Other stories are sourced to the Daily Caller, Real Clear Politics, and questionable sources such as the Gateway Pundit. Story selection always favors the right, particularly former President Trump, and denigrates the left such as this: FANCY NANCY on SHUTDOWN: ‘This is an Opportunity, Every Crisis Is!’.
Sean Hannity promotes pro-Trump propaganda and has advanced many conspiracies such as Obama Birtherism, the Seth Rich murder conspiracy, and claiming Hillary Clinton has health problems. Other conspiracies espoused are Ukraine and the Biden’s, Climate change denialism, and claiming that the Coronavirus may be a “fraud” perpetrated by the “deep state.” In general, Hannity.com reports news with a far-right bias that often is not factually based due to a poor track record with fact-checkers.
Failed Fact Checks (shortlist of many)
- “The president said he’s going to bring in 250,000 (Syrian and Iraqi) refugees into this country.” – Pants on Fire
- Says 642,000 crimes were committed against Texans by criminal immigrants in a recent seven-year period. – False
- The United States Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit is “the most overturned court in the country.” – False
- In 2007, when Nancy Pelosi met with President Assad of Syria, “nobody got upset.” – False
- Donald Trump personally sent out an airplane to bring home U.S. military members stranded in Florida. – False
- “There’s never been a president (before Joe Biden) that has made race and gender the defining factor” for a Supreme Court nomination. – False
Overall, we rate Hannity.com Far-Right Biased and Questionable based on poor sourcing, promotion of propaganda, and conspiracy theories, as well as numerous failed fact checks. (D. Van Zandt 5/30/2020) Updated (01/29/2022)
Last Updated on May 24, 2023 by Media Bias Fact Check
Do you appreciate our work? Please consider one of the following ways to sustain us.