Bias Rating: RIGHT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Country: India (142/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Newspaper
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: MEDIUM CREDIBILITY
Founded in 1961, The Financial Express is an Indian English-language business newspaper. They specialize in India and international business and financial news. The current editor is Sunil Jain.
Funded by / Ownership
The Financial Express is owned by The Indian Express LTD, which also owns the Indian Express. Revenue is derived through advertising.
Analysis / Bias
In review, the Financial Express covers economic, financial, and general news with moderately loaded language. After Ashok Gehlot’s outburst is it the end of road for Sachin Pilot in Congress?. This story, like many, comes from the Indian News Wire Press Trust of India (PTI). Other stories are published by reporters such as this IAF to get lethal Rafales: Laden with weapons, Air Force gets ready to receive Rafale fighters but does not contain hyperlinked sourcing.
Editorially, the Financial Express favors conservative Prime Minister Modi and rarely offers criticism such as this: PM Modi interacts with IBM CEO Arvind Krishna; IBM says has big investment plan for India, and this PM Modi crosses another milestone! Goes past six crore follower-count on Twitter. When reporting on USA politics, they generally rely on the Associated Press and PTI. In general, they hold a right-leaning editorial bias favoring Modi’s BJP government and do not always report factual news as evidenced by failed fact checks.
Failed Fact Checks
- “Amit Shah never flies in chartered planes, doesn’t stay at hotels rather prefers party workers home,” – False
- Sechenov University has completed clinical trials of COVID-19 vaccine. – False
- Elephant was ‘fed’ a pineapple with firecrackers and that the incident took place in Kerala’s Malappuram district. – False
- Video shows BKU leader Rakesh Tikait threatened media – False
Overall, we rate the Financial Express Right-Center Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that favor the conservative government. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to poor sourcing techniques and four failed fact checks. (10/30/2016) Updated (D. Van Zandt 10/01/2021)
Last Updated on October 1, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Biden Expresses Strong Support For Finland, Sweden NATO Bidsby Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 6:53 pm
- U.S. COVID-19 cases increased threefold over past month
- Ex-Minneapolis police officer pleads guilty to manslaughter in George Floyd’s death
- Cancer drug may treat severe COVID-19, study finds
- Facebook promised to remove “sensitive” ads. Here’s what it left behind.by Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 2:39 pm