These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate the Eugene Register-Guard Left-Center biased based on editorial positions that moderately favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
Founded in 1867 as The Guard, the Eugene Register-Guard is a daily newspaper in the northwestern United States, published in Eugene, Oregon. From 1927 to 2018, it was owned by the Baker family of Eugene, and members of the family served as both editor and publisher for nearly all that time period. The current editor is Michelle Maxwell.
Funded by / Ownership
The Register-Guard is owned by Gannett (Gatehouse Media) since 2018, which publishes USA Today. In August 2019, Gatehouse Media purchased and merged with Gannett becoming the largest newspaper chain in the USA. After the merger, the companies retained the Gannett name. The newspaper is funded through advertising and paid subscriptions.
Analysis / Bias
In review, The Register-Guard covers news, sports, lifestyle, and crime for the greater Eugene, Oregon area. Local news is reported with minimal loaded emotional language such as this Missing man dies, found Saturday at scene of motorcycle crash. National and international news comes from other Gannett publications and the Associated Press.
Editorially, the El Paso Times traditionally endorses Democratic candidates. For example, in 2016, they endorsed Democratic candidate Hillary Clinton and in 2012, Barack Obama. A review of op-ed reveals that more favor the left such as this Kahle: Explaining Trump’s campaign. In general, the news is reported factually and with a moderate left-leaning bias.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate the Eugene Register-Guard Left-Center biased based on editorial positions that moderately favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 10/26/2020)
Last Updated on October 26, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Analysis of Hunter Biden’s hard drive shows he, his firm took in about $11 million from 2013 to 2018, spent it fastby newsfactsnetwork on May 20, 2022 at 3:06 pm
- Monkeypox is spreading around the world. What is the disease and how dangerous is it?by newsfactsnetwork on May 20, 2022 at 2:04 pm
- Finland’s gas flows from Russia to be shut off from Saturday, energy provider saysby Media Bias Fact Check on May 20, 2022 at 12:40 pm
- Fact Check: High U.S. Gas Prices In 2022 Are NOT Related To Closed Pipelinesby Media Bias Fact Check on May 20, 2022 at 12:18 pm
- Project Veritas says the FBI declared it part of mediaby Media Bias Fact Check on May 20, 2022 at 12:14 pm