These media sources are moderate to strongly biased toward liberal causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports, and omit information reporting that may damage liberal causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Left Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate Boing Boing Left Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that favor the left. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to a few failed fact checks.
Bias Rating: LEFT
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: MEDIUM CREDIBILITY
Boing Boing is a website, first established as a zine in 1988, later becoming a group blog. Common themes include technology, futurism, science fiction, gadgets, intellectual property, Disney, and left-wing politics. The current editors are Mark Frauenfelder, Cory Doctorow, David Pescovitz, Xeni Jardin. and Rob Beschizza.
Funded by / Ownership
Boing Boing is held through Happy Mutants LLC; however, there isn’t any other information regarding ownership on the website. Revenue is derived from advertising and a store that sells merchandise.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Boing Boing covers a wide range of topics from technology to lifestyle; however, we will focus on those related to politics for this review. Boing Boing uses moderately loaded language in their headlines: Why did Trump make the “white power” hand signal when he mentioned AOC at the Young Conservatives DC summit? And this Grifty conservative PACs raised millions pushing racist Obama conspiracies to elderly, low-income supporters, then kept almost all of it. This last story is correctly sourced to Politico and ProPublica. In general, most stories present an opening statement followed by an excerpt from another source and then left-leaning commentary added. Story selection almost always favors the left.
Failed Fact Checks
- A man in Ireland earned the nickname “Shawshank Husband” after he dug a tunnel from his bedroom to a local pub over the span of 15 years. – FALSE
- “Fox News accidentally puts up a poll graphic that shows how they are the least trusted network.” – FALSE
Overall, we rate Boing Boing Left Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that favor the left. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to a few failed fact checks. (D. Van Zandt 11/25/2016) Updated (04/22/2022)
Last Updated on April 22, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/28/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Chronicles Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 8:00 am
- Clarence Thomas signals interest in making it easier to sue mediaby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 4:23 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Kenosha Newsby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 26, 2022 at 10:30 am