These media sources are slight to moderately conservative in bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appealing to emotion or stereotypes) to favor conservative causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Right-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate El Universo right-center biased based on editorial positions that slightly favor the right. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and clean fact check record.
Bias Rating: RIGHT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Press Freedom Rank: MODERATE FREEDOM
Media Type: Newspaper
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Launched in 1921, by Ismael Pérez Pazmiño, El Universo is an Ecuadorian national daily newspaper based in Guayaquil, Ecuador. The newspaper is family-owned, and Carlos Pérez Barriga currently leads El Universo. In 2010, former president Rafael Correa filed a suit against the owners of El Universo (Carlos, César, Nicolas Pérez Barriga, and Editor Emilio Palacio) due to “Palacio’s column titled “NO to lies.” Defamation, slander, and libel fall under the criminal code in Ecuador.
El Universo covers national and international news and politics, Guayaquil news, sports, business, and entertainment. They also have supplements such as Mi Mundo (Children’s Magazine), La Revista (Fashion), DxT (Sports).
Read our profile on Ecuador’s media and government.
Funded by / Ownership
Analysis / Bias
In 2021 Reporters Without Borders ranked Ecuador 96/180 in their Press Freedom Index, citing a “Worrying increase in violence.” In Ecuador, defamation law is a criminal offense. The President of Ecuador is Guillermo Lasso, who leans center-right.
El Universo is known for supporting conservative political views and being center-right on the political spectrum.
In review, El Universo publishes articles with emotionally loaded language such as “This is the foundation to which Guillermo Lasso will donate his salary” and “Guillermo Lasso announces that he will veto abortion bill for rape.” News reports related to the opposition have neutral headlines such as “Pachakutik decides to revoke the expulsion of Assemblywoman Mireya Pazmiño.” The Pachakutik is an indigenous left-wing party in Ecuador. El Universo utilizes national sources such as factually mixed right-center biased Ecuavisa (Ecuadorian free-to-air television network). When it comes to sourcing, El Universo covers foreign politics through credible sources such as Agencia EFE, S.A. (Spanish international news agency from Spain), and AFP (Agence France Presse). In general, El Universo reports news factually and with a right-leaning editorial bias.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate El Universo right-center biased based on editorial positions that slightly favor the right. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and clean fact check record. (M. Huitsing 03/05/2022)
Last Updated on March 5, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Facebook promised to remove “sensitive” ads. Here’s what it left behind.by Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 2:39 pm
- Schumer implores Fox News leaders to stop ‘amplification’ of ‘replacement theory’by Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 11:54 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/18/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 10:15 am
- Madison Cawthorn concedes to Chuck Edwards in North Carolinaby Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 7:43 am
- Far-right election denier Mastriano wins GOP race for governor in Pennsylvaniaby Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 7:43 am