These sources have minimal bias and use very few loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes). The reporting is factual and usually sourced. These are the most credible media sources. See all Least Biased Sources.
- Overall, we rate detik.com Least Biased based on generally neutral headlines with minimal editorializing. We also rate them Mostly Factual for reporting, rather than High due to poor sourcing techniques and a lack of transparency with ownership.
Bias Rating: LEAST BIASED
Factual Reporting: MOSTLY FACTUAL
Press Freedom Rating: LIMITED FREEDOM
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Launched in 1998, by Abdul Rahman and Budiono Darsono, detik.com or detikcom is a news website based in Jakarta, Indonesia. Detik.com is focused on breaking news, politics, business, economy, and sports. The editor-in-chief is ARIFIN ASYDHAD.
Funded by / Ownership
Detik.com is owned by Trans Corp, which is part of CT Corporation (formerly known as the Para Group) that is owned by Chairul Tanjung who is a businessman and former Coordinating Minister for Economics in the Indonesian Cabinet. Trans Media also owns TV stations such as Trans TV, Trans 7, CNN Indonesia, and TransVision. Revenue is based on subscriptions and advertisements.
Analysis / Bias
In review, detik.com publishes articles with emotionally loaded headlines such as “Inaugurating the School, Anita Tanjung Emphasizes the Importance of Quality Education” and “Trans TV Provides Aid of 300 Lebanese Basic Food Packages to Mampang Prapatan Residents.” (Anita Tanjung is the wife of the owner) Detik.com reports favorably on the Government such as “Give Capital Assistance to Traders, Jokowi: Don’t Use Your Mobile Phone!” and “RI Peringkat 3 di Dunia, Jokowi Targetkan 2030 Bebas Tuberculosis.” If you search the President’s name on the website they only report what he did or says and does not offer criticism.
Furthermore, they report favorably on coalition partners such as Prabowo Subianto who is the current Minister of Defence and is also the head of the conservative Great Indonesia Movement Party (Gerindra) such as here “4 Reasons Jokowi Choose Prabowo to Become Commander of the Food Barn Project.”
When it comes to sourcing, they primarily use quotes from other sources, however, they do not link to the source. Lastly, detik.com covers world news pertaining to the USA by quoting CNN and the Xinhua News Agency with a neutral tone such as this “Trump: Corona’s Pandemic in the US Will Get Worse Before Improving.”
In general, detik.com reports news factually and with minimal bias, however, they do not provide hyperlinked sourcing for readers to verify quotes and information and they do not have an about page with owner information.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate detik.com Least Biased based on generally neutral headlines with minimal editorializing. We also rate them Mostly Factual for reporting, rather than High due to poor sourcing techniques and a lack of transparency with ownership. (M. Huitsing 7/22/2020) Updated (06/24/2022)
Last Updated on June 24, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/03/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Emirates 24/7by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 8:01 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/02/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Out Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/01/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Republic (Indiana)by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 8:00 am