These media sources are moderate to strongly biased toward liberal causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports, and omit information reporting that may damage liberal causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Left Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate the Democratic Underground Left Biased based on story selection and political affiliation with the Democratic Party. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to poor sources and Several failed fact checks.
Bias Rating: LEFT
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Press Freedom Rank: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: MEDIUM CREDIBILITY
Founded in 2001, Democratic Underground, also known as DU, is an online community for U.S. Democrats. Its membership is restricted by policy to those who support the Democratic Party and Democratic candidates for political office. According to its mission statement: “Democratic Underground is an online community where politically liberal people can do their part to effect political and social change by Interacting with friendly, like-minded people; Sharing news and information, free from the corporate media filter; Participating in lively, thought-provoking discussions; Helping elect more Democrats to political office at all levels of American government, and having fun!”
Funded by / Ownership
The website is owned by Democratic Underground LLC and funded through online advertising.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Democratic Underground is a forum community that posts news and discussions from a liberal perspective. The website features the latest breaking news in which users publish snippets of news stories from other sources with a hyperlink to that source. For example, this story: Pence aide testified that Trump’s efforts to pressure Ukraine were ‘inappropriate’ provides a few paragraphs of the story and then links to the full story at the credible Politico.
News articles published in the forums are beyond the control of the Democratic Underground, with some coming from sources that are not credible. Again, this is not the fault of Democratic Underground but does reveal that there may be false information published on this website. The bias and level of factual content found on this website are determined by the individual posters and not Democratic Underground.
Failed Fact Checks
- Paul Ryan nominated televangelist Joel Osteen as the new House Chaplain. – FALSE
- A photograph shows Bernie Sanders at a 1965 civil rights march with Martin Luther King, Jr. – FALSE
- George H.W. Bush once said: “If the people were to ever find out what we have done, we would be chased down the streets and lynched.” – FALSE
- “The second-largest investor in Regeneron” is a firm whose CEO is Ron DeSantis’ “number one political donor.” – Mostly False
Overall, we rate the Democratic Underground Left Biased based on story selection and political affiliation with the Democratic Party. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to poor sources and several failed fact checks. (5/13/2016) Updated (D. Van Zandt 08/28/2022)
Last Updated on August 28, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/03/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Emirates 24/7by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 8:01 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/02/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Out Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/01/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Republic (Indiana)by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 8:00 am