These media sources are moderate to strongly biased toward liberal causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports, and omit information reporting that may damage liberal causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Left Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate CounterPunch Left Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that favor the progressive left. We also rate them Mostly Factual in reporting rather than High due to sometimes not sourcing information.
Bias Rating: LEFT
Factual Reporting: MOSTLY FACTUAL
Press Freedom Rank: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Magazine
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 1994, CounterPunch is a bi-monthly magazine published in the United States that covers politics in a manner its editors describe as “muckraking with a radical attitude.” It has been described as left-wing by both supporters and detractors. The current editors are Jeffrey St. Clair and Joshua Frank.
During the 2016 presidential election, CounterPunch published the writings of Alice Donovan, who purported to be a freelance writer but was, in fact, a pseudonymous employee of the Russian government. Following this, CounterPunch wrote a follow-up article: “St. Clair and Frank exposed a network of alleged trolls that operated a site called Inside Syria Media Center promoting a pro-Bashar al-Assad and pro-Russian view of the Syrian Civil War. St. Clair and Frank speculated that the website was connected to the same network of trolls as Alice Donovan.”
Funded by / Ownership
CounterPunch is owned by The Institute for the Advancement of Journalistic Clarity, whose “mission is to help readers make informed and balanced assessments – vital for a healthy democratic society – on the public issues of the day. It provides credible reporting and commentary in its magazine CounterPunch, on its website (www.counterpunch.org), and by publishing non-fiction books.” CounterPunch generates revenue through book sales, donations, grants, and advertising.
Analysis / Bias
In review, CounterPunch presents news and opinions with a strong progressive left bias in story selection. Most stories favor the left and use loaded language such as The Blob Fought the Squad, and the Squad Won and The Immoral Silence to the Destructive Xenophobia of “Just Leave.” This last piece does not indicate an opinion article and provides zero hyperlinked sources to vet those opinions. CounterPunch also regularly praises and highlights Julian Assange of Wikileaks, who outright lied and created the Seth Rich conspiracy theory. CounterPunch favors Democratic Socialism such as Bernie Sanders, Anti-Imperialism, and Venezuela regarding politics.
The general editorial position of CounterPunch is Left and is usually rooted in fact.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate CounterPunch Left Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that favor the progressive left. We also rate them Mostly Factual in reporting rather than High due to sometimes not sourcing information. (5/13/2016) Updated (D. Van Zandt 08/05/2022)
Last Updated on August 5, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 08/07/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on August 7, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Cosmos Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on August 7, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 08/06/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on August 6, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Indexmundiby Media Bias/Fact Check on August 6, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 08/05/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on August 5, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Worldhealth.netby Media Bias/Fact Check on August 5, 2022 at 8:00 am