Sources in the Conspiracy-Pseudoscience category may publish unverifiable information that is not always supported by evidence. These sources may be untrustworthy for credible/verifiable information, therefore fact checking and further investigation is recommended on a per article basis when obtaining information from these sources. See all Conspiracy-Pseudoscience sources.
- Overall, we rate the Committee for a Constructive Tomorrow (CFACT) a Quackery level Pseudoscience source based on the complete rejection of the scientific consensus on climate change as well as the promotion of anti-climate propaganda that is either false or misleading. This is not a credible source for scientific information.
Factual Reporting: LOW
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
The Committee for a Constructive Tomorrow (CFACT) is a Washington, D.C. based 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization founded in 1985 that advocates for free-market solutions to environmental issues. According to their about page “Its co-founders, David Rothbard and Craig Rucker, strongly believed the power of the market combined with the applications of safe technologies could offer humanity practical solutions to many of the world’s most pressing concerns.”
CFACT also publishes the Climate Depot, which we have rated as a climate change denying pseudoscience website.
Funded by / Ownership
CFACT is 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that is mostly funded through the Donor’s Trust. The purpose of the Donor’s Trust Fund is to “safeguard the intent of libertarian and conservative donors.” In other words, it allows anti-climate change advocates to donate anonymously. In the past, CFACT received over $500,000 from Exxon-Mobil.
Analysis / Bias
In review, CFACT publishes news and information about limited government, deregulation, and human-influenced climate change denialism. Headlines often contain emotional wording such as this: Petitioning against climate alarmism goes global. Although this story contains many data points of information there is not a single source cited to validate the claims. In another article, titled Will Al Gore be the first fake meat billionaire? the author produces an opinion piece that sources the Questionable Climate Depot.
In 2016, CFACT published the Climate Truth File, which is essentially a manifesto that attempts to refute human-influenced global warming. Here are some of their main points:
- Global temperatures have been virtually flat for about 18 years according to satellite data, and peer-reviewed literature is now scaling back predictions of future warming.
- Despite claims of snow being ‘a thing of the past,’ cold season snowfall has been rising.
- Sea level rise rates have been steady for over a century, with recent deceleration.
- A 2015 NASA study found Antarctica was NOT losing ice mass and ‘not currently contributing to sea-level rise.
- 2016 Arctic sea ice was 22% greater than the recent low point of 2012.
- The Arctic sea ice is now in a 10-year ‘pause’ with ‘no significant change in the past decade’
- Polar bears are doing fine, with their numbers way up since the 1960s.
Most of this information is either false or misleading. For example, stating that sea ice is 22% greater from its all-time low does not change the fact that it is down close to 40% from 1979, when satellite images were first used. This chart from NASA illustrates the fallacy that arctic sea ice is not decreasing.
Failed Fact Checks
- “They tell us that we are the primary forces controlling earth temperatures by the burning of fossil fuels and releasing their carbon dioxide. I hope my readers can recognize the absurdity of their claims. … increasing sunspots are linked to increases in earth temperature” – Inaccurate
Overall, we rate the Committee for a Constructive Tomorrow (CFACT) a Quackery level Pseudoscience source based on complete rejection of the scientific consensus on climate change as well as the promotion of anti-climate propaganda that is either false or misleading. This is not a credible source for scientific information. (D. Van Zandt 9/26/2019) Updated (4/18/2020)