These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appealing to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate CityLab Left-Center biased based on editorial positions that align with the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact-check record.
Bias Rating: LEFT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 2011, CityLab is a news website covering urban planning, policy, and city lifestyle. Their FAQ page states, “Through sharp analysis, original reporting, and visual storytelling, our coverage focuses on the most significant ideas and most pressing issues facing the world’s metro areas and neighborhoods. The website does not list an editor.
Funded by / Ownership
Atlantic Media-owned CityLab until December 2019, when Bloomberg Media purchased the website. Revenue is derived through advertising and sponsored content.
Analysis / Bias
In review, CityLab divides news into five sections. “Design” focuses on urban planning. “Transportation” reports on city transportation innovations. “Environment” focuses on pollution and climate change. “Equity” covers racism, and “Life,” writes about the city lifestyle.
Articles and headlines often use minimally loaded language such as this: The Cities Americans Want to Flee and Where They Want to Go. This story is sourced to the Wall Street Journal and New York Times. A review of sources demonstrates the use of credible sources such as census information and other .gov sites.
Editorially, CityLab leans moderately left with concern for climate change as well frequently reporting on racism such as this: How Racism Became a Public Health Crisis in Pittsburgh. When reporting on the former Trump Administration, there is often a negative tone such as this: Trump’s Plan to Criminalize Homelessness Is Taking Shape. In general, CityLab reports news factually and with a left-leaning editorial bias.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate CityLab Left-Center biased based on editorial positions that align with the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact-check record. (D. Van Zandt (2/2/2020) Updated (08/13/2022)
Last Updated on August 13, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 08/16/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on August 16, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Emerging Europeby Media Bias/Fact Check on August 16, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 08/15/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on August 15, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Council on American-Islamic Relation (CAIR)by Media Bias/Fact Check on August 15, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 08/14/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on August 14, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Issues in Science and Technologyby Media Bias/Fact Check on August 14, 2022 at 8:00 am