Panama Government Bias
World Press Freedom Rank: Panama 74/100
According to freedomhouse.org, corruption is a significant risk in the country’s judicial system. Furthermore, Reporters without Borders describes the situation for journalists as “journalists in Panama are often the targets of judicial proceedings when they criticize government policy or cover corruption-related stories, especially ones with international ramifications.” Reporters without Borders also draw attention to the defamation often used to silence journalists.
Media Ownership and Government Analysis
In Panama, conglomerates own most media outlets; however, the government still indirectly controls and pressures media companies through the allocation of state advertising. For example, Medcom Panama (Medcom Corporation) operates Telemetro, RPC TV, Mall TV, and two radio stations (RPC Radio and Caliente). Gonzalez Revilla is the president of Medcom Corporation. He is also the cousin of former president Ernesto Pérez Balladares González-Revilla.
When it comes to print media the most popular are Panamá América, La Prensa (owned by LA PRENSA CORPORATION) and El Siglo. Panama also criminalized defamation; for example, in 2020, the court froze La Prensa’s owner, Corporación La Prensa’s assets because of a defamation suit by the former president.
In conclusion, corporate media dominate the print and broadcast media; therefore, there is significant corporate influence on the media. The government influences the corporations through funding from advertising money, and defamation suits intimidate journalists, leading to bias and self-censorship.
Last Updated on May 11, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Facebook promised to remove “sensitive” ads. Here’s what it left behind.by Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 2:39 pm
- Schumer implores Fox News leaders to stop ‘amplification’ of ‘replacement theory’by Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 11:54 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/18/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 10:15 am
- Madison Cawthorn concedes to Chuck Edwards in North Carolinaby Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 7:43 am
- Far-right election denier Mastriano wins GOP race for governor in Pennsylvaniaby Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 7:43 am