These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward liberal causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports, and omit information reporting that may damage liberal causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Left Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate Care2 strongly Left-Biased based on support for only left-leaning causes and Mixed for factual reporting due to the promotion of pseudoscience.
Bias Rating: LEFT
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Press Freedom Rank: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: MEDIUM CREDIBILITY
Founded in 1998 by Randy Paynter, Care2 is a social networking website that connects activists worldwide with other individuals, organizations, and “responsible businesses” making an impact.
According to their about page, “Care2 is the world’s largest community for good. You’ll find over 45 million like-minded people working towards progress, kindness, and lasting impact here. Care2 Stands Against bigots, bullies, science deniers, misogynists, gun lobbyists, xenophobes, the willfully ignorant, animal abusers, frackers, and other mean people. If you find yourself aligning with any of those folks, you can move along; nothing to see here. Care2 Stands With: humanitarians, animal lovers, feminists, rabble-rousers, nature-buffs, creatives, the naturally curious, and people who really love to do the right thing.”
Funded by / Ownership
Care2 is owned by Care2.com, Inc., with Randy Paynter serving as CEO. The website is funded through online advertising, and Care2.com Inc. is financed by selling services to non-profits.
Analysis / Bias
In review, the Care2 website allows users to create, browse and sign online petitions for various left-leaning causes with a strong focus on the environment and human rights. Some of the open petitions on the website today are related to animal rights, LGBTQ, and reproductive rights. The Care2 website also publishes news related to food, health, spirituality, nature, etc.
While many of the articles published are credible or at least harmless, some are full-blown pseudoscience. For example, they have an article detailing the benefits of Moxibustion, which is a form of Traditional Chinese Medicine involving the burning of Mugwort over acupoints. There is zero evidence to support any positive benefits from Moxibustion; however, burns have been reported. Care2 does not openly reject vaccinations or make false claims about an autism link when it comes to vaccinations. Still, they offer skepticism about their safety, which differs from the consensus of science.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate Care2 strongly Left-Biased based on support for only left-leaning causes and Mixed for factual reporting due to the promotion of pseudoscience. (D. Van Zandt 10/24/2018) Updated (05/20/2022)
Last Updated on May 20, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/30/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 30, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Healing Oracleby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 30, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/29/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 29, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Spectator USAby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 29, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/28/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 28, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Bounding Into Comicsby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 28, 2022 at 8:00 am