Questionable Reasoning: Clickbait, Some Fake News, Lack of Transparency
Bias Rating: JUNK NEWS
Factual Reporting: VERY-LOW
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: LOW CREDIBILITY
Founded in 2011, Breaking911 does not have an about page; therefore, who runs the site and its mission is unknown. Breaking911 appears to republish breaking news headlines and crime stories worldwide.
Funded by / Ownership
The website does not disclose ownership. Advertising derives revenue.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Breaking911 republishes news from NBC: Trump Bodyguard: Trump Was Offered 5 Russian Women, Turned Offer Down or CNN “Secret Service Agent Working Trump Motorcade Run Down By Vehicle, Driver Arrested.” At the same time, they capitalize on clickbait-type headlines such as “NSFW: Leaked video of Cardi B exposing her bare boobs surfaces and crime stories from local media “Husband Kills Wife Less Than 15 Minutes Into New Year, Police Say.” Further, Breaking911 does not appear to have a political bias but instead publishes sensationalized stories regardless of political affiliation.
In reviewing factual reporting for Breaking911, we found a false claim via Politifact. In this breaking news story, they published an ISIS member tweeting about the Chattanooga mass shooting 15 minutes before it happened. The source of this was the highly questionable Pam Geller, who has a poor track record with fact-checkers. Other poor media outlets also reported this, but this was refuted as false within a few hours. Breaking911 did not delete or amend its story to indicate it was false.
Failed Fact Checks
- Too many to list. See list.
Overall, we rate Breaking911 a Questionable Source based on the promotion of clickbait headlines that do not fully match the stories, the publication of false information, and a complete lack of transparency. (M. Huitsing 1/3/2017) Updated (04/29/2022)
Last Updated on April 29, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/28/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 28, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Bounding Into Comicsby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 28, 2022 at 8:00 am
- Facebook takes down Russian network impersonating European news outletsby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 1:45 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Electronic Frontier Foundationby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 26, 2022 at 10:30 am