These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appealing to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate Bleacher Report Left-Center biased based on political story selection that slightly favors the left. We also rate them Mostly Factual in reporting rather than High due to the occasional use of poor sources and a failed fact check within the last 5 years.
Bias Rating: LEFT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: MOSTLY FACTUAL
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Launched in 2005 by Dave Finocchio and his high school friends, Bleacher Report, or B/R, is a website that focuses on sports and sports culture and covers a wide range of sports-related topics. Bleacher report is headquartered in San Fransisco. In the early days, Bleacher Report was primarily known for “churning out around 800 articles a day” and for featuring content from local sports blogs, many of whom were unpaid amateur writers.
Over time, the site expanded, and in 2012 Dave Finocchio, who co-founded Bleacher Report, sold it to Turner Broadcasting System. After the acquisition, Bleacher Report has grown into a network of sites. Turner hired new staff, such as Howard Beck from the New York Times.
Funded by / Ownership
Bleacher Report is owned by Turner Broadcasting System, Inc, which Warner Media owns. After the 2018 Merger of Time Warner and AT&T, they rebranded with the name Warner Media. Bleacher Report’s revenue is based on subscription fees and advertisements. In addition, B/R also has an online shop that sells sports merchandise.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Bleacher Report produces original sports coverage and news sourced from other credible outlets such as USA Today, Sports Illustrated, NPR, NBC Sports, ESPN, and occasionally questionable sources such as TMZ. Sports news reporting often does not use loaded words with the headline accurately describing the article, such as this: Best Values at Each Position from NBA Re-Draft Series.
Editorially, Bleacher Report does not produce opinion pieces. However, they cover sports-related politics with a left-leaning bias: Why Does President Donald Trump Hate the NFL? For example, many articles about politics favor the left, such as this: MLB Hall of Famer Goose Gossage Rips Analytics: Like Democrats Running Baseball. Within this article, they publish a tweet that mocks Gossage’s opinion of Democrats “Those pesky democrats with their math, science, and facts.” Finally, while Bleacher Report typically does not add commentary to articles, story selection more often favors the left such as this DONALD TRUMP IS TEARING THE NFL APART. Generally, the news is reported mostly factually with a left-leaning bias in story selection.
Failed Fact Checks
- In October 2017, Colin Kaepernick told a CBS reporter he would stand for the national anthem if he were signed by an NFL team. – False
Overall, we rate Bleacher Report Left-Center biased based on political story selection that slightly favors the left. We also rate them Mostly Factual in reporting rather than High due to the occasional use of poor sources and a failed fact check within the last 5 years. (M. Huitsing 5/20/2020) Updated (07/20/2022)
Last Updated on July 20, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/03/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Emirates 24/7by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 8:01 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/02/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Out Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/01/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Republic (Indiana)by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 8:00 am