These sources consist of legitimate science or are evidence-based through the use of credible scientific sourcing. Legitimate science follows the scientific method, is unbiased, and does not use emotional words. These sources also respect the consensus of experts in the given scientific field and strive to publish peer-reviewed science. Some sources in this category may have a slight political bias but adhere to scientific principles. See all Pro-Science sources.
- Overall, we rate Australian Skeptics Pro-Science based on using a pro-science methodology to investigate claims.
Bias Rating: PRO-SCIENCE
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: Minimal Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 1980, Australian Skeptics is a loose confederation of groups across Australia that investigate paranormal and pseudo-scientific claims from a responsible scientific viewpoint. According to their about page, they investigate claims that “range from what we might call the lighter end of the scale (UFOs, monsters, and ghosts) where the most you can lose is probably some money or a little time, to those very dark areas of psychic schemes and quack cures where the results can be dangerous, damaging or even fatal.” They also publish The Skeptic Magazine.
Funded by / Ownership
Australian Skeptics is funded through donations and grants and a shop that sells merchandise and memberships.
Analysis / Bias
In review, the website for Australian Skeptics provides news about those involved with the organization and educational resources for teachers. They do not provide news. In general, they are a pro-science organization that promotes science and rational inquiry.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate Australian Skeptics Pro-Science based on using a pro-science methodology to investigate claims. (D. Van Zandt 1/19/2017) Updated (03/15/2022)
Last Updated on March 15, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/28/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Chronicles Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 8:00 am
- Clarence Thomas signals interest in making it easier to sue mediaby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 4:23 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Kenosha Newsby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 26, 2022 at 10:30 am