These media sources are slight to moderately conservative in bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appeals to emotion or stereotypes) to favor conservative causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Right-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate Aleteia Right-Center biased based on factual low-biased news reporting, coupled with solidly right-leaning editorial positions. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting based on the promotion of pseudoscience.
Bias Rating: RIGHT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: MEDIUM CREDIBILITY
Founded in 2013 by the Foundation for Evangelization through the Media, Aleteia is a Catholic news and information website. The President of the foundation is Olivier Bonnassies. According to their about page, “Aleteia (aleteia.org) is an online publication distributed in eight languages (English, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Italian, Arabic, Polish, and Slovenian). The Aleteia site offers a Christian vision of the world by providing general and religious content that is free from ideological influences.”
In July 2015, the Média-Participations Group became Aleteia’s industrial operator. Since then, Aleteia has “developed a new editorial strategy focused primarily on information and lifestyle.”
Funded by / Ownership
Aleteia is owned by Média-Participations Group, which is “a European media group specializing in publishing (with more than 40 publishers), the printing industry (10 magazines), audiovisual production, and websites.” The website was initially funded through private investment but now generates revenue through advertising and subscriptions.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Aleteia reports news from a Catholic perspective that covers various topics ranging from News, Spirituality, Lifestyle, Art & Travels, and more. Under the News category, they report general news, some of which is political, such as this: Missouri is the latest state to enact strict abortion ban. This story is written with minimal bias as the author does not interject personal opinions but rather sources to the Associated Press. Under the Spirituality category, they have stories that would be classified as pseudoscience, such as this: Cover your children with God’s protection with this prayer from the Bible. While prayer is a fundamental concept in most religions, there isn’t evidence that prayer has any effect on outcomes and hence is considered a pseudoscience.
Politically, Aleteia leans right with opposition to gay marriage, with articles like this: After Gay Marriage, Is Polyamory (Group Marriage) Next? On the other hand, they have a left-leaning pro-science perspective regarding climate change: Is climate change increasing suicide risk? In general, the political views of Aleteia are in line with the Catholic Church: Abortion Law Insanity: Killing Babies is Murder, but Killing Full-Term Fetuses is “Choice.” In total, Aleteia reports straight news with minimal bias; however, when it comes to social issues and opinions, they lean strongly right upholding the values of the Catholic Church.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate Aleteia Right-Center biased based on factual low-biased news reporting, coupled with solidly right-leaning editorial positions. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting based on the promotion of pseudoscience. (D. Van Zandt 5/21/2019) Updated (12/26/2021)
Last Updated on February 5, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/06/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 6, 2022 at 10:30 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/05/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 5, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Tenth Amendment Centerby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 5, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/04/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 4, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: NBC New Yorkby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 4, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/03/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 10:30 am