These media sources are slightly to moderately conservative in bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor conservative causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation. See all Right-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate The Center Square Right-Center Biased based on editorial positions that moderately favor a right-libertarian perspective. We also rate them Mostly Factual, rather than High due to a lack of transparency with funding.
Factual Reporting: MOSTLY FACTUAL
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
The Center Square, formerly watchdog.org is a network of American news websites that features reporting on state and local government from a conservative perspective. It is a project of the Franklin News Foundation, an online news organization. According to their about page “The focus of our work is state- and local-level government and economic reporting. A taxpayer sensibility distinguishes our work from other coverage of state and local issues. As a result of this approach, our readers are better informed about the focus of state and local government and its cost to the citizens whose tax dollars fund governmental decisions.”
Funded by / Ownership
The Center Square is owned and published by the Franklin News Foundation which is a nonprofit that is funded through donations. In the past, funding came from Donors Trust and Donors Capital Fund. However, at present, they lack transparency and do not clearly list how they are funded.
Analysis / Bias’
In review, The Center Square reports on national politics and on 27 state legislatures. Most stories are original and do not use loaded emotional wording such as this Tennessee Democrats call for $1B investment toward a ‘Path to Recovery’ as well as this Proposed legislation would provide financial benefit for Tennessee health care workers. Neither of these stories source to external hyperlinks.
Editorially, under the opinion tab, they routinely favor the right with stores such as this Op-Ed: Hiding Biden – How Democrats crafted the first impeachment, helping defeat Trump in 2020 with media help and this Op-Ed: New York continues to move tax rates in the wrong direction. When it comes to science they do not deny climate change but do support the energy sector and more free-market solutions Oil and gas industry in New Mexico, other states issue warnings against suspending leasing on federal lands. In general, the news is reported factually and with right leaning libertarian bias.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate The Center Square Right-Center Biased based on editorial positions that moderately favor a right-libertarian perspective. We also rate them Mostly Factual, rather than High due to a lack of transparency with funding. (D. Van Zandt 1/22/2017) Updated (2/5/2021)
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- Daily Source Bias Check: Council on American-Islamic Relation (CAIR)by Media Bias/Fact Check on August 15, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 08/14/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on August 14, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Issues in Science and Technologyby Media Bias/Fact Check on August 14, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 08/13/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on August 13, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: WSAZ News Channelby Media Bias/Fact Check on August 13, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 08/12/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on August 12, 2022 at 10:30 am