These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward conservative causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage conservative causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Right Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate The Daily Telegraph Right Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that usually favor the right. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to failed fact checks.
Factual Reporting: MIXED
World Press Freedom Rank: Australia 26/180
The Daily Telegraph also called the Daily Tele is a daily tabloid from Sydney, Australia since 1879. The publisher is Nationwide News Limited, a division of News Corp Australia. Robert Murdoch bought the paper in 1972 and merged with the Daily Mirror and it became the Telegraph-Mirror. In 1996, it changed back to The Daily Telegraph. Ben English is the editor-in-chief.
Funded by / Ownership
Analysis / Bias
In 2020, Reporters Without Borders ranked Australia 26/180 in their Press Freedom Index, stating “Investigative journalism in danger”. The Prime Minister of Australia is Center-Right Conservative Scott Morrison. The Liberal-National Coalition, known as The Coalition, is an alliance of center-right political parties with Morrison serving as the leader. In the 2019 elections, most Murdoch owned papers endorsed The Coalition
In review, The Daily Telegraph publishes misleading opinion columns with emotionally loaded wording such as this article “WHAT MADNESS CAN JUSTIFY MUTILATING OUR CHILDREN” According to The Australian Press Council this column is misleading. National and international news is provided by Sky News as well as news.com.au.
Editorially, there is a distinct conservative bias in political positions. For example, they frequently downplay climate change as well as the Coronavirus Climate change activist Malcolm Turnbull ‘hijacks’ coronavirus alarmism. They also report negatively against left-leaning parties such as this Labour’s Association with the Greens is dangerous for Australia. Finally, in 2019, they endorsed conservative Scott Morrison for Prime Minister, Daily Telegraph editorial: Steady hand on the tiller beats rhetoric. In general, the Daily Telegraph holds right-leaning editorial views and does not always report news factually.
Failed Fact Checks
- Australia is going to introduce 33 different genders on birth certificates and passports. – False
- Is actor Matt Damon “moving his family to Australia because of Trump”? – False
Overall, we rate The Daily Telegraph Right Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that usually favor the right. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to failed fact checks. (8/14/2016) Updated (M. Huitsing 6/27/2020)
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 08/16/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on August 16, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Emerging Europeby Media Bias/Fact Check on August 16, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 08/15/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on August 15, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Council on American-Islamic Relation (CAIR)by Media Bias/Fact Check on August 15, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 08/14/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on August 14, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Issues in Science and Technologyby Media Bias/Fact Check on August 14, 2022 at 8:00 am