Factual Reporting: HIGH
Country: United Kingdom
World Press Freedom Rank: UK 33/180
Founded in 2013, Blasting News is a very content heavy news and opinion website. The website boasts 250,000 citizen writers and 11 million readers. Blasting news features journalists and freelancers who submit their stories to senior editors, who vet and fact check the information before publication.
According to their about page “Blasting News has an ambitious objective: to report trustworthy news created by an independent, open community of contributors, ranging from professionals to passionate writers, independently of one’s opinion, angle and views. It is a democratic, but curated, news platform where everyone has a voice.”
Funded by / Ownership
Blasting News is owned by Blasting SA (IDI CHE-247.845.224) a Swiss company based in Lugano (Switzerland). They have also received funding by Google’s Digital Innovation Fund. Revenue is derived through advertising, subscriptions and software sales.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Blasting News publishes editions in Brazil, France, Italy, Spain, United Kingdom and the USA. Readers can customize their news feeds by selecting channels. For example, for the purpose of this review I chose the following channels: Donald Trump, Democratic Party, Foreign Affairs and Viral Stories. The majority of news stories provide video to go along with the text. Headlines typically are low biased such as this: California: Thousands evacuated as firefighters struggle to contain the Kincade wildfire. This story is properly sourced to the BBC and Associated Press.
In reviewing news stories about President Trump there is minimal bias present such as this: Syria: Trump announces troops are pulled from the region, threatens Turkey economically. This story is appropriately labeled as an opinion piece and is sourced to Twitter and a Fox News video. News coverage of Democrats is also low biased such as this: Democrats request tougher diplomacy in North Korean negotiations.
This review covers only a small portion of the news published on the website and therefore we cannot determine if other articles are biased and factual. However, based on this small sample they appear to be least biased and factual in reporting.
A factual search reveals they have not failed a fact check.
Overall, we rate Blasting News Least Biased based on neutral wording and balanced story selection. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. Of note, this website publishes an enormous amount of news stories, therefore our confidence in this review is medium. (D. Van Zandt 6/24/2017) Updated (10/26/2019)
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- Daily Source Bias Check: Council on American-Islamic Relation (CAIR)by Media Bias/Fact Check on August 15, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 08/14/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on August 14, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Issues in Science and Technologyby Media Bias/Fact Check on August 14, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 08/13/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on August 13, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: WSAZ News Channelby Media Bias/Fact Check on August 13, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 08/12/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on August 12, 2022 at 10:30 am