Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 48/180
Founded in 1998, Ars Technica is a technology news and information website. It publishes news, reviews, and guides on issues such as computer hardware and software, science, technology policy, and video games. The current editor is Ken Fisher.
Funded by / Ownership
Ars Technica is owned by Conde Naste, which is an American mass media company founded in 1909 by Condé Montrose Nast, based in New York City and owned by Advance Publications. They own 18 brands including Allure, Architectural Digest, Backchannel, Bon Appétit, Condé Nast Traveler, Epicurious, Glamour, Golf Digest, GQ, Pitchfork, Self, Teen Vogue, The New Yorker, Vanity Fair, Vogue, and Wired. Revenue is derived from advertising and subscription sales.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Ars Technica primarily covers technology news, but also covers politics as it relates to the industry. When covering tech news there is moderate use of sensational headlines such as this My browser, the spy: How extensions slurped up browsing histories from 4M users. This story is accurately and appropriately sourced. Under their “Policy” tab they report on political news as it relates to technology. Here you will also find moderately sensational headlines that is also well sourced and factual: Turkey crosses “red line,” gets booted from F-35 partnership. When covering USA politics, Ars Technica again sticks to factual reporting such as this: Trump proposes a government-run TV news network to counter CNN.
Ars Technica and other tech publications have been accused of Left Wing bias by far right media outlets such as Breitbart. In our review of Ars Technica we did not find overt bias in either direction.
A factual search reveals they have not failed a fact check.
Overall, we rate Ars Technica Least Biased based on mostly neutral reporting that sticks to their genre of technology. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing of information and a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 8/26/2016) Updated (7/20/2019)
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 08/07/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on August 7, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Cosmos Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on August 7, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 08/06/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on August 6, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Indexmundiby Media Bias/Fact Check on August 6, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 08/05/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on August 5, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Worldhealth.netby Media Bias/Fact Check on August 5, 2022 at 8:00 am