These media sources are slightly to moderately conservative in bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor conservative causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation. See all Right-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate The Jerusalem Post Right-Center biased based on editorial positions that favor the right leaning government. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to a clean fact check record.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: Israel 88/180
Established in 1932, The Jerusalem Post (JPost), formerly known as The Palestine Post (until 1950) is an Israeli newspaper founded by Gershon Agron. The Jerusalem Post is based in Jerusalem and mainly focuses on topics such as news and politics. Under the section called Arab Israeli Conflict, they focus on news updates regarding the Israeli – Palestinian conflict and under the section Green Israel, they report news about sustainable, green living. Finally, in the section called Diaspora, they report news for the Jewish communities outside of Israel, and world news. Yaakov Katz is the current editor-in-chief.
Funded by / Ownership
The Jerusalem Post’s owner is an Israeli company, the Mirka’ei Tikshoret group, which is run by Eli Azur. Besides the JPost, Eli Azur also owns Maariv Dailies. In his linkedin profile, Eli Azur lists himself as a franchise owner. The Jerusalem Post’s revenue is derived from advertising and a paid subscription, which provides an ad-free website and exclusive content.
Analysis / Bias
Throughout the paper’s history they have shifted back and forth between right, left and center.
According to Haaretz, there is a rightward political shift in Israel. In 2017, the Times of Israel reported a survey that indicates “Sixty-seven percent of Jewish youth define themselves as right-wing (or center-right), while just 16% consider themselves to be left-wing.”
In review, when it comes to Israeli news, the Jerusalem Post publishes articles with neutral headlines when reporting on the Labor Party of Israel, such as this: “Gabbay reveals regional mideast peace plan.” However, they publish articles with emotionally loaded language regarding Netanyahu, such as this subtitle: “ Netanyahu spoke angrily about Liberman after the vote to disperse the Knesset passed 74-45.” In general, the tone of the paper is right of center in its Israeli coverage, such as these editorials: “THE REAL PROBLEM IS NETANYAHU, NO ONE ELSE – ANALYSIS” and “EDITOR’S NOTES: AVIGDOR LIBERMAN WANTS TO SHOW THE REAL RIGHT”. Liberman is known to be right-center in his views. Further, the JPost frequently covers the Israeli-Palestinian conflict with the majority of opinion pieces favoring the right leaning Israeli Government.
When it comes to USA coverage, for example in this article, The Jerusalem Post reports on Jared Kushner’s economic plan as positive. In another article they report about Netanyahu’s letter, praising a city for deciding to name its central square after “Donald Trump.” Further, the Jerusalem Post generally sources through quotes and rarely hyperlinks, however they republish articles from credible sources such as Reuters.
A factual search reveals they have not failed a fact check.
Overall, we rate The Jerusalem Post Right-Center biased based on editorial positions that favor the right leaning government. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 8/29/2016) Updated (M. Huitsing 6/26/2019)
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/02/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Out Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/01/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Republic (Indiana)by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/30/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 30, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Healing Oracleby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 30, 2022 at 8:00 am