Toronto Van Attack
TORONTO – The suspect in a Toronto van attack that killed 10 people and injured 15 on Monday was apprehended 26 minutes after allegedly driving a white rental van into a crowd in north Toronto. The suspects name is Alek Minassian, 25, who was employed as a software developer. High School classmates describe him as a special needs student who often walked the halls with his head down and hands tightly clasped. A motive for the attack has not been established.
Former President George H.W. Bush Hospitalized
HOUSTON – Former President George H.W. Bush, 93, was admitted to the hospital just days after the funeral of his wife Barbara Bush. A statement by the office of George H.W. Bush reads as follows: “President Bush was admitted to the Houston Methodist Hospital yesterday morning after contracting an infection that spread to his blood. He is responding to treatments and appears to recovering. We will issue additional updates as events warrant.”
Caravan of Central American Migrants Protest
MEXICO CITY —A caravan of Central American migrants protested in northern Mexico on Monday.
The 600 mainly Central American migrants are demanding better treatment and many are planning to request asylum, either in the United States or Mexico.
“We are asking the government and migration authorities to respect the right to seek asylum,” said caravan organizer Irineo Mujica. “Those who request asylum shouldn’t be criminalized. It is a right … families shouldn’t be separated or punished.”
Trump tweeted Monday that “I have instructed the Secretary of Homeland Security not to let these large Caravans of people into our Country.”
“Mexico, whose laws on immigration are very tough, must stop people from going through Mexico and into the U.S. We may make this a condition of the new NAFTA Agreement,” Trump tweeted.
In response, Mexico’s Secretary of Foreign Affairs Luis Videgaray tweeted, “It would be unacceptable to condition the NAFTA negotiations on immigration actions that are outside that framework.”
“Mexico decides its own immigration policy in a sovereign manner, and Mexico’s cooperation on immigration matters with the United States occurs because Mexico considers it in its own interest,” Videgaray wrote.
Many of the migrants say they are fleeing gang violence and extortion in Honduras and El Salvador.
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 07/01/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on July 1, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: WFMZby Media Bias/Fact Check on July 1, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/30/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 30, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: NaturalPediaby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 30, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Ratings show Fox News viewers tuning out Jan. 6 hearingsby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 29, 2022 at 4:29 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/29/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 29, 2022 at 10:30 am