WASHINGTON, two Democrat representatives have begun articles of impeachment against President Donald Trump amid former F.B.I director James Comey’s ongoing testimony.
Texas Representative Al green was joined by California Representative Brad Sherman in announcing the bid for impeachment. A bid which many experts agree is a long shot as of yet.
Both representatives are arguing that Trump’s firing of Comey during the ongoing Russian investigation constitutes as an obstruction of justice.
“The question really is whether the president can obstruct justice with impunity,” “We live in a country where no congressmen, no senator, and not even the president of the United States of America is above the law.” Mr. Green told a press conference.
The possibility of a successful impeachment is low considering the Republican party controls the House of Representatives, the house which would be tasked with indicting the President.
The recently ousted F.B.I director is to give his long awaited testimony before the Senate select committee on Intelligence today.
Comey released his opening statement Wednesday afternoon. It includes details of how Trump allegedly urged Comey to drop the investigation into former national security advisor, Michael Flynn.
According to the opening statement, it is expected that when Comey appears before the committee, he will describe how the president allegedly demanded loyalty through private messages.
By Aaron O’Leary – Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- Trust in presidency, Congress, media at all-time lowsby Media Bias/Fact Check on July 6, 2022 at 12:39 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 07/06/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on July 6, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Die Presseby Media Bias/Fact Check on July 6, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 07/05/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on July 5, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The National Heraldby Media Bias/Fact Check on July 5, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 07/04/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on July 4, 2022 at 10:15 am