These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appealing to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate WSVN Left-Center Biased based on utilizing CNN as a syndicated news source. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact-check record.
Bias Rating: LEFT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Press Freedom Rank: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: TV Station
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Launched in 1956, WSVN is a Fox-affiliated television station licensed to Miami, Florida, United States, and also serving Fort Lauderdale. It is the flagship station of locally-based Sunbeam Television. WSVN.com is the website for the TV station that publishes news and investigative reporting in the region. The website does not disclose an editor or director.
WSVN was one of the first stations in the county to feature a tabloid-style news program that became the model for many Fox affiliates.
Funded by / Ownership
WSVN is owned by the Sunbeam Television Corporation, which is a privately held broadcasting company based in Miami, Florida, that owns three television stations in the United States. Sunbeam was founded in 1962 by Billionaires Sydney and Edmund Ansin. Revenue for WSVN.com is generated through advertising.
Analysis / Bias
In review, WSVN.com publishes news focusing on the Miami area with a heavy emphasis on crime reporting. Headlines often contain minimally loaded emotional language such as this: Man detained, gunman at large after shots fired on I-95 in NW Miami-Dade. This story is sourced from video and first-person accounts. US and world news is republished from the Associated Press and CNN. Under the politics tab, reporting comes from the AP, CNN, and local journalists when pertaining to local politics. Local political reporting contains little bias, such as this: Biden courts South Florida’s Hispanic vote at Little Havana event.
The website does not publish op-eds. In general, local news reporting is straightforward and factual, while syndicated news is derived from left-leaning CNN.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate WSVN Left-Center Biased based on utilizing CNN as a syndicated news source. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact-check record. (D. Van Zandt (9/16/2019) Updated (09/28/2022)
Last Updated on September 28, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/04/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 4, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: NBC New Yorkby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 4, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/03/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Emirates 24/7by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 8:01 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/02/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Out Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 8:00 am