These sources have minimal bias and use very few loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appealing to emotion or stereotypes). The reporting is factual and usually sourced. These are the most credible media sources. See all Least Biased Sources.
- Overall, we rate WION Least Biased based on reasonably balanced editorial positions and minimal use of loaded language in news reporting. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to a lack of hyperlinked sourcing in most articles and promotion of misinformation regarding Covid-19.
Bias Rating: LEAST BIASED
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Press Freedom Rank: LIMITED FREEDOM
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Launched in 2016, Wionews or WION is an Indian news website. WION stands for “World is One News.” Sudhir Chaudhary is the editor-in-chief of WION, covering topics ranging from South Asia news, world news, sports, live TV, entertainment, and more. They describe themselves as “seasoned and daring, young journalists of diverse nationalities.”
Funded by / Ownership
Analysis / Bias
According to Reporters without Borders, the media, the environment in India is threatened by increasing nationalism. India’s 2019 world press freedom rank is 140th out of 180 countries.
In review, WION publishes tabloid-style stories such as “Sports Illustrated’ swimsuit issue honours #MeToo with first-ever nude photo series” and reports international news with minimally loaded words. They use various news agencies, some of which are not known by us, and some highly credible such as AFP. However, they usually poorly source their articles using quotations without linking to the source, such as “Kim Yo Jong: Meet the ‘Ivanka Trump’ of North Korea” and “FBI contradicts White House on probe of former aide Rob Porter.”
Recent articles in 2020 continue to display minimal bias, such as this Japan expands coronavirus emergency nationwide amid spike in cases; however, there is still a lack of hyperlinked sourcing, though they generally provide video as a source. However, during 2020 they promoted misinformation as it relates to Coronavirus.
Editorially, WION presents both sides; however, a review of 50+ opinion pieces reveals slightly more favor the right, with some praising PM Modi and others promoting nationalism. In general, news reporting is factual and low biased, while editorials lean slightly right.
Failed Fact Checks
- “new virus” named hantavirus has emerged in China in March 2020 – False
- “Portuguese nurse dies two days after getting the Pfizer Covid vaccine” – Misleading
Overall, we rate WION Least Biased based on reasonably balanced editorial positions and minimal use of loaded language in news reporting. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to a lack of hyperlinked sourcing in most articles and promotion of misinformation regarding Covid-19. (M. Huitsing 2/14/2018) Updated (02/25/2022)
Last Updated on February 25, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Japanese and U.S. officials walk out of APEC meet to protest Russiaby newsfactsnetwork on May 22, 2022 at 11:34 am
- Monkeypox is a ‘concern for everybody’ and US is looking into treatments and vaccines, says Bidenby newsfactsnetwork on May 22, 2022 at 11:26 am
- Hillary Clinton approved Trump-Russia leak to media, campaign manager saysby newsfactsnetwork on May 22, 2022 at 11:22 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/22/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 22, 2022 at 10:15 am
- U.S. Covid-19 Cases Top 7-Day Average Of 100,000 For First Time Since Februaryby newsfactsnetwork on May 22, 2022 at 8:44 am