Sources in the Conspiracy-Pseudoscience category may publish unverifiable information that is not always supported by evidence. These sources may be untrustworthy for credible/verifiable information, therefore fact checking and further investigation is recommended on a per article basis when obtaining information from these sources. See all Conspiracy-Pseudoscience sources.
- Overall, we rate Vigilant Citizen a right biased tin foil hat conspiracy website based on the promotion of debunked or unproven claims. We also rate them low for factual reporting due to poor sourcing and a lack of transparency.
Factual Reporting: LOW
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180
Founded in 2008, Vigilant Citizen promotes conspiracy theories involving hidden symbolism in the media. According to their about page they state “this site aims to go beyond the face value of symbols found in pop culture to reveal their esoteric meaning.” This website lacks transparency as they do not list authors or ownership.
Funded by / Ownership
The website does not disclose ownership and revenue is derived through advertising and sale of an E-Book.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Vigilant Citizen publishes right-wing conspiracy theories about symbolism as well as other topics. For example, in this story Kevin Spacey Posted a Chilling Video on YouTube One Day Before the Sudden Death of His Accuser, they claim there is a hidden message in the video that links Kevin Spacey to the deaths of three people who have accused him of misconduct. This story is only sourced to a video with speculation added by Vigilant Citizen. They also promote without evidence that Jeffrey Epstein was murdered such as this: Was Jeffrey Epstein Murdered? While it may or may not be true that he was murdered, there isn’t evidence to suggest he was. Finally, Vigilant Citizen holds a favorable view of President Trump as they are concerned with witches casting spells on him Witches Worldwide Target Trump in Mass Occult Ritual. In general, this a tinfoil hat level conspiracy website that often promotes debunked or impossible to prove claims.
Overall, we rate Vigilant Citizen a right biased tin foil hat conspiracy website based on the promotion of debunked or unproven claims. We also rate them low for factual reporting due to poor sourcing and a lack of transparency. (D. Van Zandt 1/1/2017) Updated (1/25/2020)
Last Updated on November 17, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/28/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 28, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Bounding Into Comicsby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 28, 2022 at 8:00 am
- Facebook takes down Russian network impersonating European news outletsby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 1:45 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/27/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Electronic Frontier Foundationby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 27, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/26/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 26, 2022 at 10:30 am