These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward liberal causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage liberal causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Left Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate This Magazine Left Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that often favor the progressive left. We also rate them High for Mostly Factual in reporting, rather than High, due to a lack of hyperlinked sourcing in some articles.
Factual Reporting: MOSTLY FACTUAL
World Press Freedom Rank: Canada 16/180
Founded in 1966, This Magazine is an independent alternative progressive Canadian political magazine. The Magazine is one of Canada’s longest-publishing alternative journals and the current editor is Erica Lenti.
Funded by / Ownership
This Magazine is owned by the Red Maple Foundation. Revenue is generated through donations and subscription fees.
Analysis / Bias
In review, This Magazine publishes original news stories from a progressive left perspective. Headlines and wording often contain moderately loaded emotional language such as this: We need to stop pretending there’s no Islamophobia crisis in Canada. Although this story is well written and thorough it completely lacks hyperlinked sourcing.
Editorially, This Magazine favors issues related to the left such a LGBTQ rights, Climate change, and pro-Education. Further, they often report negatively on conservatives and positively on progressives in which they criticize Trudeau for his lack of kept progressive promises.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate This Magazine Left Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that often favor the progressive left. We also rate them Mostly Factual in reporting, rather than High, due to a lack of hyperlinked sourcing in some articles. (5/15/2016) Updated (D. Van Zandt 2/24/2017)
Last Updated on November 15, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Russia to close Moscow bureau of CBC News in retaliationby Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 7:52 pm
- Biden Expresses Strong Support For Finland, Sweden NATO Bidsby Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 6:53 pm
- U.S. COVID-19 cases increased threefold over past month
- Ex-Minneapolis police officer pleads guilty to manslaughter in George Floyd’s death
- Cancer drug may treat severe COVID-19, study finds