These media sources are moderate to strongly biased toward liberal causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports, and omit information reporting that may damage liberal causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Left Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate The Washington Spectator Left Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that consistently favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to strong sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Bias Rating: LEFT
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Organization/Foundation
Traffic/Popularity: Minimal Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 1974 by veteran Capitol Hill reporter and Vietnam War critic Tristram Coffin, The Washington Spectator is a monthly liberal independent political periodical based in New York City. According to their about page, “the Spectator delivers a unique blend of sharp-edged investigative reporting, informed social and political commentary, and cultural criticism and essays on topics ranging from popular cinema to the new women’s movement, to the recent advances in artificial intelligence.”
Funded by / Ownership
The Washington Spectator is published by The Public Concern Foundation, a “nonprofit educational foundation dedicated to the study of current political and social issues, the dissemination of those findings, and the expansion of the public discourse on political and social values and ideals.” Revenue for The Washington Spectator is derived through print subscription sales and donations.
Analysis / Bias
In review, the print edition of the Washington Spectator, generally in “every issue covers a single topic—most often, one that its editors believe is not receiving sufficient coverage in the mainstream media outlets.” The website publishes articles related to politics, the world, culture, and the economy. Articles and headlines utilize strongly loaded language that favors a left-leaning perspective, such as this Anatomy of Deceit: Team Trump Deploys Doctors with Dubious Qualifications to Push Fake Cure for Covid-19. This story, like most, is thoroughly sourced from credible media outlets such as Politifact, New York Times, and the CDC.
Editorially, The Washington Spectator promotes left-leaning policies such as environmentalism and supports the consensus of science regarding climate change, Event: Mobilizing to Defeat Climate Change. Other policies supported are LGBTQ rights, Black Lives Matter, and negative reporting on conservatives and former President Donald Trump. They generally report the news factually and with a consistent left-leaning bias.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate The Washington Spectator Left Biased based on story selection and editorial positions that consistently favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to strong sourcing and a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 9/27/2020) Updated (06/06/2022)
Last Updated on June 6, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/03/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Emirates 24/7by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 3, 2022 at 8:01 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/02/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Out Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on October 2, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 10/01/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Republic (Indiana)by Media Bias/Fact Check on October 1, 2022 at 8:00 am