These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate the Providence Journal Left-Center Biased based on editorial positions that slightly favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Factual Reporting: HIGH
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180 (2020)
Founded in 1829, The Providence Journal is a daily newspaper from Providence, Rhode Island. The current editor is Alan Rosenberg.
Funded by / Ownership
The Providence Journal is owned by Gannett (Gatehouse Media), which publishes USA Today. In August 2019, Gatehouse Media purchased and merged with Gannett becoming the largest newspaper chain in the USA. After the merger, the companies retained the Gannett name. The newspaper is funded through advertising and paid subscriptions.
Analysis / Bias
In review, The Providence Journal covers local news through reporters with minimal bias such as this Worcester church lawsuit on hold. National and international news is derived from USA Today and the Associated Press.
Editorially, The Providence Journal has endorsed Democratic Presidential Candidates since 2008. A review of op-eds shows balance, but more slightly favor the left. In general, they report news factually and with a slight left-leaning bias.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate the Providence Journal Left-Center Biased based on editorial positions that slightly favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (7/30/2016) Updated (D. Van Zandt 5/16/2020)
Last Updated on May 16, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Russia to close Moscow bureau of CBC News in retaliationby Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 7:52 pm
- Biden Expresses Strong Support For Finland, Sweden NATO Bidsby Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 6:53 pm
- U.S. COVID-19 cases increased threefold over past month
- Ex-Minneapolis police officer pleads guilty to manslaughter in George Floyd’s death
- Cancer drug may treat severe COVID-19, study finds