These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appealing to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate The Odyssey Online Left-Center Biased and Mixed for factual reporting due to the use of factually mixed sources and rapidly publishing content that may not be vetted.
Bias Rating: LEFT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Country: USA (44/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: website
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: MEDIUM CREDIBILITY
Launched in 2009, Odyssey, also known as The Odyssey Online, is a news and entertainment website headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana. The website was founded by Evan Burns, who was fired and is now run by Eoin Townsend. Odyssey’s coverage features news, politics, fashion, relationships, sports, ideas, tech, and the future.
Funded by / Ownership
The Odyssey Online utilizes a crowdsourcing model, described by Fortune Magazine as “receiving articles from unpaid college kids already well-versed in social media.” According to the Fortune article, “editors told Fortune they began creating fake profiles and writing under pseudonyms to increase their article count—whatever it took to meet the arbitrary content targets.”
Analysis / Bias
Odyssey’s coverage features news, politics, fashion, relationships, sports, ideas, tech, and the future.
The Odyssey Online covers tabloid-style news, emphasizing sensational headlines such as “10 Ways Young Adult Women Can Conceal Carry And Still Be Hot AF.”
In review, their political reporting utilizes emotionally loaded words in their headlines such as “Comey’s Failure” and “A Love Letter To You, Paul Ryan.” The Odyssey Online typically sources credible sources such as ABC News, Rolling Stone, The Guardian, NPR, and NY Times; however, they also occasionally use factually mixed sources such as CNN.
The Odyssey Online on domestic matters favors the left, usually supporting socially liberal values such as: “One of our civil liberties as United States citizens is the freedom of religion. If you believe your religion doesn’t support homosexuality, that’s OK. What isn’t OK is thinking that your religious beliefs should dictate others’ lives. What isn’t OK is using your religion or your beliefs to take away rights from those who chose to live their life differently than you.”
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate The Odyssey Online Left-Center Biased and Mixed for factual reporting due to the use of factually mixed sources and rapidly publishing content that may not be vetted. (M. Huitsing 4/22/2018) Updated (06/30/2021)
Last Updated on June 30, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Japanese and U.S. officials walk out of APEC meet to protest Russiaby newsfactsnetwork on May 22, 2022 at 11:34 am
- Monkeypox is a ‘concern for everybody’ and US is looking into treatments and vaccines, says Bidenby newsfactsnetwork on May 22, 2022 at 11:26 am
- Hillary Clinton approved Trump-Russia leak to media, campaign manager saysby newsfactsnetwork on May 22, 2022 at 11:22 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/22/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 22, 2022 at 10:15 am
- U.S. Covid-19 Cases Top 7-Day Average Of 100,000 For First Time Since Februaryby newsfactsnetwork on May 22, 2022 at 8:44 am