These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate The Observer UK Left-Center biased based on story selection and editorial positions that favor the left. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to several failed fact checks.
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Country: United Kingdom
World Press Freedom Rank: UK 35/180 (2020)
Founded in 1791, The Observer is a British newspaper, published on Sundays. In the same place on the political spectrum as its sister papers The Guardian and The Guardian Weekly, whose parent company Guardian Media Group Limited acquired it in 1993, it claims to take a social liberal or social democratic line on most issues. It is the world’s oldest Sunday newspaper. The current editor is Paul Webster.
Funded by / Ownership
The Observer is owned by Guardian Media Group. Revenue is derived through subscriptions and advertising.
Analysis / Bias
In review, The Observer is a Sunday only paper published by the Guardian. Articles and headlines contain emotional wording that typically favors the left such as this: The right cannot resist a culture war against the ‘liberal elite’, even now. In the most simple terms, the online version of The Observer is actually the Guardian. In general, The Observer is moderately left-biased.. This story links directly into the Guardian Domain. Editorially, The Observer denigrates the right such as this
Failed Fact Checks
Overall, we rate The Observer UK Left-Center biased based on story selection and editorial positions that favor the left. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to several failed fact checks. (D. Van Zandt 7/19/2016) Updated (5/14/2020)
Last Updated on November 5, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Finnish, Swedish Lawmakers To Debate NATO Membership As Moscow Warns Nordic NATO Plans A ‘Grave Mistake’by Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 12:06 pm
- Conservative media is familiar with Buffalo suspect’s alleged ‘theory’by newsfactsnetwork on May 16, 2022 at 11:48 am
- More mass shootings are happening at grocery stores — 13% of shooters are motivated by race, criminologists findby Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 11:40 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/16/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 10:15 am
- MBFC’s Daily Source Bias Check: Infobaeby Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 7:09 am