These media sources are moderate to strongly biased toward liberal causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports, and omit information reporting that may damage liberal causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Left Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate The Intellectualist Left Biased based on story selection that consistently favors the left. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to a couple of failed fact checks and the use of misleading headlines that entirely match the story.
Bias Rating: LEFT
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Country: USA (44/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: Minimal Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: MEDIUM CREDIBILITY
The Intellectualist is a left-leaning news aggregation website and discussion group. According to their about page, “The Intellectualist is an online publisher covering politics, science, feminism, and secularism.” They are a part of the theMaven Network, which hosts numerous left-leaning websites and groups.
Funded by / Ownership
The Intellectualist is published through theMaven Network, which digital veteran James Heckman owns. The website is owned by its writers and generates revenue through advertising.
Analysis / Bias
In review, The Intellectualist publishes summaries or partial text of news articles and then links to the full story. Most stories come from the least biased and left-leaning sources such as the New York Times and Reuters. Story selection significantly favors the left with many stories negative toward the right such as this: DeVos: I Am Pro-Freedom, That’s Why I Discriminate Against People Not Like Me. This story comes from the Detroit Free Press with a much different title that is not biased: Betsy DeVos: It’s not about me, it’s about students. In general, the news aggregated on this website is left-biased.
Failed Fact Checks
- Fake News: Donald Trump Did NOT Say “If The U.S. Converts To Wind Power, We’ll Run Out Of Wind” – False
- Under the House Republican health plan, sexual assault is a pre-existing condition – Mostly False
Overall, we rate The Intellectualist Left Biased based on story selection that consistently favors the left. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to a couple of failed fact checks and the use of misleading headlines that entirely match the story. (D. Van Zandt 3/9/2017) Updated (8/09/2021)
Last Updated on August 9, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/16/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 10:15 am
- MBFC’s Daily Source Bias Check: Infobaeby Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 7:09 am
- Finland will apply for NATO membership, president says, in historic move for traditionally neutral countryby newsfactsnetwork on May 15, 2022 at 11:56 am
- Gov. Hochul demands responsibility from social media companies after Buffalo shooting was live-streamedby newsfactsnetwork on May 15, 2022 at 11:54 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/15/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 15, 2022 at 10:15 am