These media sources are slightly to moderately conservative in bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor conservative causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information, but may require further investigation. See all Right-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate The Independent Institute Right-Center Biased based on editorial positions that favor the moderate right. We also rate them Mostly Factual in reporting, rather than High due to contrarian views with scientific solutions to climate change.
Factual Reporting: MOSTLY FACTUAL
World Press Freedom Rank: USA 45/180 (2020)
Founded in 1986, The Independent Institute is a non-profit, non-partisan, scholarly research and educational organization that sponsors in-depth studies of critical social and economic issues. The founder and current CEO is David J. Theroux. The content of the website follows libertarian positions such as free-market capitalism, limited government, and climate change denial. According to their about page “THE INDEPENDENT INSTITUTE is a non-profit, non-partisan, public-policy research and educational organization that shapes ideas into profound and lasting impact through publications, conferences, and effective multi-media programs. Our mission is to boldly advance peaceful, prosperous, and free societies grounded in a commitment to human worth and dignity.”
Funded by / Ownership
The Independent Institute is a non-profit that is funded through donations.
Analysis / Bias
In review, The Independent Institute reports news from a right-leaning libertarian perspective such as this The Fed Becomes the U.S. Government’s Biggest Creditor. This story is properly sourced to federalreserve.gov, the Independent and US News and World Report. Story selection tends to favor the right with more stories favoring free-market capitalism such as this Market Based Environmentalism vs. the Free Market. When it comes to science they do not actually deny human-influenced climate change, but they do minimize its impact which as opposed to the consensus of science: Is the Man-Made Climate Change Debate Really Over?.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate The Independent Institute Right-Center Biased based on editorial positions that favor the moderate right. We also rate them Mostly Factual in reporting, rather than High due to contrarian views with scientific solutions to climate change. (7/18/2016) Updated (D. Van Zandt 5/9/2020)
Last Updated on October 16, 2020 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Biden Expresses Strong Support For Finland, Sweden NATO Bidsby Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 6:53 pm
- U.S. COVID-19 cases increased threefold over past month
- Ex-Minneapolis police officer pleads guilty to manslaughter in George Floyd’s death
- Cancer drug may treat severe COVID-19, study finds
- Facebook promised to remove “sensitive” ads. Here’s what it left behind.by Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 2:39 pm