These media sources are moderately to strongly biased toward conservative causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports, and omit information reporting that may damage conservative causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Right Bias sources.
- Overall, we rate The First Right Biased based on editorial and commentary positions that consistently align with the right. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to a lack of transparency with ownership, promotion of misinformation, and hosts who have failed fact checks.
Bias Rating: RIGHT
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Website/TV
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: MEDIUM CREDIBILITY
Launched in October 2019, The First is an online TV station that broadcasts conservative opinion personalities and news. According to their about page, “The First is a new network for free speech and big ideas. It’s a home for people who don’t automatically believe the first thing they read in the New York Times or hear on NPR, Fox, or CNN. A platform for people who are a little bit skeptical, a little bit curious, and a whole lot interested in diving much deeper into the issues that matter.”
The First can be watched on their website or through an app on Youtube and Pluto TV platforms. The current lineup as of this date is Bill O’Reilly, Dana Loesch, Buck Sexton, Jesse Kelly, Mike Slater, and other contributors. The website also features news and opinion articles written by contributors.
Funded by / Ownership
The First lacks transparency in disclosing ownership as it is not clearly stated on the website. According to their Terms of Service page, they are owned by The First Digital Inc. We are unable to find information on The First Digital Inc. Revenue is derived through advertising.
Analysis / Bias
In review, The First provides a TV station that broadcasts conservative commentary from hosts such as Bill O’Reilly, Dana Loesch, Buck Sexton, Jesse Kelly, and Mike Slater. The website also provides text-based news and opinion, primarily written by the hosts mentioned above and other contributors. Articles and headlines often contain loaded emotional wording such as this Was it racist when Obama did it too? | Mike Slater. This article, like many, provides a short text summary and then a link to a video clip of one of the hosts, Mike Slater. In another article, they promote coronavirus misinformation such as this Dr. Fauci was wrong | Dana Loesch, and during the Presidential Election of 2020, they promoted unproven election fraud information.
Failed Fact Checks
- The First has not been directly fact-checked; however, their hosts have failed fact checks.
Overall, we rate The First Right Biased based on editorial and commentary positions that consistently align with the right. We also rate them Mixed for factual reporting due to a lack of transparency with ownership, promotion of misinformation, and hosts who have failed fact checks. (D. Van Zandt 12/3/2020) Updated (03/29/2022)
Last Updated on March 29, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Russia to close Moscow bureau of CBC News in retaliationby Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 7:52 pm
- Biden Expresses Strong Support For Finland, Sweden NATO Bidsby Media Bias Fact Check on May 18, 2022 at 6:53 pm
- U.S. COVID-19 cases increased threefold over past month
- Ex-Minneapolis police officer pleads guilty to manslaughter in George Floyd’s death
- Cancer drug may treat severe COVID-19, study finds