These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appeals to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate The Coloradoan Left-Center biased based on editorial positions that slightly favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Bias Rating: LEFT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Press Freedom Rating: MOSTLY FREE
Media Type: Newspaper
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 1873, The Coloradoan is a daily newspaper serving Fort Collins, Colorado, and the surrounding area. The newspaper covers local news, sports, business, and lifestyle. The current editor is Eric Larsen.
Funded by / Ownership
The Coloradoan is owned by Gannett (Gatehouse Media), which publishes USA Today. In August 2019, Gatehouse Media purchased and merged with Gannett becoming the largest newspaper chain in the USA. After the merger, the companies retained the Gannett name. The newspaper is funded through advertising and paid subscriptions.
Analysis / Bias
In review, The Coloradoan reports local news for the Fort Collins, Colorado region with minimal use of loaded emotional language such as this Colorado to begin vaccinating 65-plus teachers. National and international news comes from other Gannett publications and the Associated Press.
Editorially, op-eds tend to be reasonably balanced, presenting opinions from both sides. However, in reviewing several, more favor the left such as this Coloradoan can do better to report on climate crisis’ link to wildfires. The editorial board typically does not endorse presidential candidates, but they endorse local candidates. In 2018, they endorsed both Democrats and Republicans; however, more democrats were endorsed overall. In general, they report the news factually and with a left-leaning editorial bias.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate The Coloradoan Left-Center biased based on editorial positions that slightly favor the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 1/30/2021) Updated (03/20/2022)
Last Updated on March 20, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Australia set to get new PM after Scott Morrison’s ruling conservatives projected to lose electionby Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 12:53 pm
- Biden says US has offered vaccines to North Korea but got no responseby newsfactsnetwork on May 21, 2022 at 12:43 pm
- MBFC’s Daily Source Bias Check: International Press Instituteby Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 10:15 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/21/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 10:15 am
- U.S. stops controlled burns nationwide after New Mexico disasterby Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 3:43 am