A questionable source exhibits one or more of the following: extreme bias, consistent promotion of propaganda/conspiracies, poor or no sourcing to credible information, a complete lack of transparency, and/or is fake news. Fake News is the deliberate attempt to publish hoaxes and/or disinformation for profit or influence (Learn More). Sources listed in the Questionable Category may be very untrustworthy and should be fact-checked on a per-article basis. Please note sources on this list are not considered fake news unless specifically written in the reasoning section for that source. See all Questionable sources.
- Overall, we rate The Buffalo Chronicle Questionable based on far-right-wing bias, a complete lack of transparency, promotion of propaganda/conspiracy theories, and several failed fact checks.
Reasoning: Lack of Transparency, Propaganda, Conspiracy, Failed Fact Checks
Bias Rating: RIGHT
Factual Reporting: MIXED
Country: USA (45/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: LOW CREDIBILITY
Founded in 2014, The Buffalo Chronicle is an online news source serving Buffalo and Western New York. The website does not have an about page, nor does it disclose ownership. The website also does not list an editor, and the writers lack biographical information.
Read our profile on the United States government and media.
Funded by / Ownership
According to The Canada Land Show, the website does not disclose ownership; the owner is Matthew Ricchiazzi, a “failed municipal candidate in Buffalo.” The website is funded through advertising and subscription fees.
Analysis / Bias
The Buffalo Chronicle is an online newspaper that focuses on local news in the Buffalo area. They also report news from other locations in New York and Washington D.C. Headlines of articles often contain loaded language that favors the Right such as this: Obama’s pathetic ‘Blame Fox’ excuse. This article is essentially a summary of a New York Post article. Further, articles written by staff are right biased and pro-Trump. Local news also features strong right-wing bias in attacking local Democrats such as this: That time Poloncarz appointed ‘patronage hack’ to supervise CPS, following brazen fraud scheme. In general, The Buffalo Chronicle reports favorably on the right and negatively on the left.
The Buffalo Chronicle has also been cited for publishing false information about Canada.
Failed Fact Checks
- Is New York State about to ban cigarette sales to combat the novel coronavirus? – False
- Canada’s national newspaper was not barred from publishing a scandal involving PM Trudeau – False
- In 2001, Justin Trudeau left his teaching job at the West Point Grey Academy after having a sexual relationship with either a student or a student’s mother. – Unproven
- “Mitt Romney has been asked to lead Health and Human Services in Biden administration.” – False
- Did mob boss Joey Merlino, also known as “Skinny Joey,” help Joe Biden win Philadelphia by getting him 300,000 fraudulent votes? – False
Overall, we rate The Buffalo Chronicle Questionable based on far-right-wing bias, a complete lack of transparency, promotion of propaganda/conspiracy theories, and several failed fact checks. (D. Van Zandt 5/2/2019) Updated (03/14/2021)
Last Updated on April 5, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
Left vs. Right Bias: How we rate the bias of media sources