Founded in 1988, The Baffler is a magazine of cultural, political, and business analysis. Its motto was “the journal that blunts the cutting edge.” According to their about page, “Our regular subjects include Silicon Valley snake oil, the deadening weight of consumer capitalism, our faithless media, and the redemptive promise of people claiming control of their own lives.” The current editor-in-chief is Jonathon Sturgeon.
Funded by / Ownership
The Baffler Foundation owns The Baffler. Subscription fees, donations, and bookstore sales generate revenue.
Analysis / Bias
The Baffler covers a wide range of topics through solid journalism that is hard-hitting and, at times, humorous. They also cover politics from a progressive/socialist perspective, such as this Nationalism Kills and The Long Brutality, which focuses on social justice and equality for African-Americans.
Editorially, almost all stories favor the left through pointing out income inequality, Irreconcilable Billionaires, and concern for climate change Climate Will Change Faster Than We Will. While The Baffler occasionally promotes Socialist ideas such as strong support for labor, LGBTQ rights, and a negative perception of capitalism, that is not their primary focus. In general, The Baffler aligns strongly with the progressive left and is factual in reporting.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate The Baffler Left Biased based on editorial positions that align with the progressive left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 5/7/2017) Updated (5/29/2021)
Last Updated on May 29, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Analysis of Hunter Biden’s hard drive shows he, his firm took in about $11 million from 2013 to 2018, spent it fastby newsfactsnetwork on May 20, 2022 at 3:06 pm
- Monkeypox is spreading around the world. What is the disease and how dangerous is it?by newsfactsnetwork on May 20, 2022 at 2:04 pm
- Finland’s gas flows from Russia to be shut off from Saturday, energy provider saysby Media Bias Fact Check on May 20, 2022 at 12:40 pm
- Fact Check: High U.S. Gas Prices In 2022 Are NOT Related To Closed Pipelinesby Media Bias Fact Check on May 20, 2022 at 12:18 pm
- Project Veritas says the FBI declared it part of mediaby Media Bias Fact Check on May 20, 2022 at 12:14 pm