Founded in 1988, The Baffler is a magazine of cultural, political, and business analysis. Its motto was “the journal that blunts the cutting edge.” According to their about page, “Our regular subjects include Silicon Valley snake oil, the deadening weight of consumer capitalism, our faithless media, and the redemptive promise of people claiming control of their own lives.” The current editor-in-chief is Jonathon Sturgeon.
Funded by / Ownership
The Baffler Foundation owns The Baffler. Subscription fees, donations, and bookstore sales generate revenue.
Analysis / Bias
The Baffler covers a wide range of topics through solid journalism that is hard-hitting and, at times, humorous. They also cover politics from a progressive/socialist perspective, such as this Nationalism Kills and The Long Brutality, which focuses on social justice and equality for African-Americans.
Editorially, almost all stories favor the left through pointing out income inequality, Irreconcilable Billionaires, and concern for climate change Climate Will Change Faster Than We Will. While The Baffler occasionally promotes Socialist ideas such as strong support for labor, LGBTQ rights, and a negative perception of capitalism, that is not their primary focus. In general, The Baffler aligns strongly with the progressive left and is factual in reporting.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate The Baffler Left Biased based on editorial positions that align with the progressive left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 5/7/2017) Updated (5/29/2021)
Last Updated on May 29, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/30/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 30, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Healing Oracleby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 30, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/29/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 29, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: The Spectator USAby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 29, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 09/28/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on September 28, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Bounding Into Comicsby Media Bias/Fact Check on September 28, 2022 at 8:00 am