Greg Abbott is currently the Governor of Texas. He is a member of the conservative wing of the Republican Party. We assign Greg Abbott a Right Biased and Mixed factual rating due to numerous failed fact checks.
Title: Governor (since January 20, 2015)
Political Party: Republican
Political Alignment: Conservative Right
Factual Rating: Mixed
- University of Texas at Austin B.B.A. in Finance (1981)
- Juris Doctor (J.D.) degree from the Vanderbilt University Law Schoo (1984)
- Attorney Butler and Binion LLP (1984 – 1992)
- Associate Justice of the Texas Supreme Court (1995-2001)
- Attorney General of Texas (2002-2015)
- Governor of Texas (2015 – current)
Stance on Key Policies:
- Abortion Rights: Unfavorable – Abbott has consistently taken a strong stance against abortion rights. He signed a law in 2021 that bans most abortions once cardiac activity can be detected, usually around six weeks of pregnancy. This law is currently facing legal challenges.
- Economy: Free Market Capitalism – Abbott supports free market capitalism. He has advocated for low taxes, reduced regulations, and business-friendly policies to attract and retain businesses in Texas.
- Climate Change: Denies Climate Change (Skeptic) – Abbott has been skeptical of the extent of human-caused climate change and has shown skepticism towards green energy. He has opposed federal regulations aimed at addressing climate change and has focused on promoting energy production in Texas, including fossil fuels.
- Education: Choice-Charter-Private Schools – Abbott has supported expanding school choice options in Texas. He has advocated for charter schools and private school voucher programs as alternatives to traditional public schools.
- LGBTQ Rights: Limited Rights – He has opposed same-sex marriage and has supported measures that critics argue could discriminate against LGBTQ individuals, such as the “bathroom bill” in 2017.
- Gun Ownership: Limited Gun Control Measures – Abbott is a strong supporter of the Second Amendment and has opposed stricter gun control measures. He has signed laws expanding gun rights.
- Immigration: Limited Immigration – Abbott has advocated for strong border security and has taken a tough stance on immigration. He has supported measures to increase law enforcement presence at the border and has been critical of sanctuary city policies.
- Health Care: Market-Based Health Care – Abbott opposes the Affordable Care Act (ACA) and has supported market-based solutions to healthcare. He has been critical of Medicaid expansion under the ACA and has sought to limit the role of government in healthcare.
- Overall: Conservative – Abbott’s positions align with conservative ideology, particularly on abortion, limited government intervention, and support for free market principles.
Recent Failed Fact Checks
- “Under President Trump, the federal government achieved historically low levels of illegal immigration.” – Misleading
- Says the Biden administration is choosing to send baby formula to the border as one of its “out-of-touch priorities.” – Mostly False
- The Texas abortion law “provides at least six weeks for a person to be able to get an abortion.” – False
- Says he met a teacher in Dallas “who was only in his third year of teaching and already making more than $90,000 a year in salary.” – Mostly False
- Says Travis County’s sheriff refuses to enforce 8 USC 1373. – False
(M. Huitsing 05/28/2023)
Last Updated on May 29, 2023 by Media Bias Fact Check