Reasoning: Lack of Transparency, Poor Sourcing, Propaganda, False Claims
World Press Freedom Rank: Venezuela 147/180
Founded in 2005, La Nueva Televisora del Sur (teleSUR, English: The New Television Station of the South) is a multi-state funded, pan–Latin American terrestrial and satellite television network sponsored by the governments of Venezuela, Cuba, Ecuador, Nicaragua, Uruguay, and Bolivia that is headquartered in Caracas, Venezuela. TeleSUR has been accused of being a propaganda tool for Hugo Chavez and his successors.
Funded by / Ownership
TeleSUR lacks transparency as they do not explain ownership, however, they are primarily funded through the governments of Venezuela, Cuba, Ecuador, Nicaragua, Uruguay, and Bolivia. Revenue is derived through advertising.
Analysis / Bias
In review, TeleSur reports Latin American and world news with minimally loaded wording such as this Venezuela Election Update: PSUV Coalition Wins 67% of the Vote. Many stories promote Socialist government propaganda as well as very strong anti-American sentiments such as this Two Sides of the Same Coin: VenezolanosConBiden and MAGAzuela. Like most stories evaluated this one is completely unsourced. In general, they promote propaganda and poorly source their information.
Failed Fact Checks
- “Santiago de Chile. October 18, 2020. One year after the popular mobilization.” – False
- The world’s most wanted and most dangerous drug lord, Joaquin “El Chapo” Guzman, is allegedly offering a US$100 million bounty for whoever delivers billionaire and Republican presidential hopeful Donald Trump to him, dead or alive. – False
- Cristiano Ronaldo donated $1.5 million to Palestinians in Gaza during the Muslim holy month of Ramadan – False
Overall, we rate TeleSUR Left Biased and Questionable based on a lack of transparency, poor sourcing, the promotion of pro-government propaganda and proven false claims. (D. Van Zandt 1/5/2017) Updated (2/10/2021)
Last Updated on February 10, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Japanese and U.S. officials walk out of APEC meet to protest Russiaby newsfactsnetwork on May 22, 2022 at 11:34 am
- Monkeypox is a ‘concern for everybody’ and US is looking into treatments and vaccines, says Bidenby newsfactsnetwork on May 22, 2022 at 11:26 am
- Hillary Clinton approved Trump-Russia leak to media, campaign manager saysby newsfactsnetwork on May 22, 2022 at 11:22 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/22/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 22, 2022 at 10:15 am
- U.S. Covid-19 Cases Top 7-Day Average Of 100,000 For First Time Since Februaryby newsfactsnetwork on May 22, 2022 at 8:44 am