A questionable source exhibits one or more of the following: extreme bias, consistent promotion of propaganda/conspiracies, poor or no sourcing to credible information, a complete lack of transparency and/or is fake news. Fake News is the deliberate attempt to publish hoaxes and/or disinformation for the purpose of profit or influence (Learn More). Sources listed in the Questionable Category may be very untrustworthy and should be fact checked on a per article basis. Please note sources on this list are not considered fake news unless specifically written in the reasoning section for that source. See all Questionable sources.
- Overall, we rate the Strategic Culture Foundation (SCF) a Questionable source based on extreme right wing bias, promotion of Russian propaganda and conspiracy theories as well as a complete lack of transparency with the goal to deceive readers. This is not a credible source.
Reasoning: Extreme Right, Conspiracy, Propaganda, Complete Lack of Transparency
World Press Freedom Rank: Russia 149/180
Founded in 2010, the Strategic Culture Foundation (SCF) provides a platform for exclusive analysis, research and policy comment on Eurasian and global affairs.
SCF completely lacks transparency by not listing owners or editors. Further, the domain is registered in Russia, which the owners do not openly disclose and there is not a contact page provided.
Funded by / Ownership
Ownership of the Strategic Culture Foundation is not disclosed. We cannot determine how revenue is derived as there does not appear to be a source of monetization (ads, donations, etc). However, the site features authors and has maintenance costs, so funding is coming from somewhere.
Analysis / Bias
In review, the Strategic Culture Foundation is a Russian propaganda website that favors the authoritarian right. This source also frequently reports pro-Russian conspiracy theories such as these:
- The Skripal Affair – Another False Flag in NATO Litany to Criminalize Russia
- Northwoods and MH-17: False Flags Fly alongside «Old Glory»
- The EU’s Architects: Nazis and Nazi Collaborators
- The Secret Logistics of America’s Global Deep State
- Strange Things Happen to European Countries Resisting George Soros’ Assault
Finally, in a Politico article the Strategic Culture Foundation was described as “a part of the Kremlin’s influence apparatus and noted that Russia has long sought to amplify the voices of Western conspiracy theorists.”
Overall, we rate the Strategic Culture Foundation (SCF) a Questionable source based on extreme right wing bias, promotion of Russian propaganda and conspiracy theories as well as a complete lack of transparency with the goal to deceive readers. This is not a credible source. (D. Van Zandt 12/27/2016)