These sources have minimal bias and use very few loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by appeals to emotion or stereotypes). The reporting is factual and usually sourced. These are the most credible media sources. See all Least Biased Sources.
- Overall, we rate Stars and Stripes Least Biased based on balanced, low-biased story selection. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Bias Rating: LEAST BIASED
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Country: USA (44/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Newspaper
Traffic/Popularity: Medium Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
Founded in 1861, Stars and Stripes is an American military newspaper that focuses and reports on matters concerning the United States Armed Forces members. It operates from inside the Department of Defense but is editorially separate from it, and its First Amendment protection is safeguarded by the United States Congress, to whom an independent ombudsman, who serves the readers’ interests, regularly reports.
According to their about page, “Stars and Stripes provide independent news and information to the U.S. military community, including active-duty service members, DoD civilians, veterans, contractors, and their families.”
On 9/4/2020, it was announced that the Pentagon is shutting down Stars and Stripes effective Sept 30, 2020. However, the Pentagon rescinded the order after President Donald Trump on Sept. 4 tweeted Stars and Stripes funding would not be cut “under my watch.”
Funded by / Ownership
Stars and Stripes are owned by the Defense Media Activity (DMA) within the Department of Defense. The website generates revenue through advertising and subscription fees.
Analysis / Bias
In review, Stars and Stripes provide original news for former and current military members and Department of Defense employees. News is broken down into a variety of categories, including the different military branches. Articles and headlines are typically low biased in wording such as this Power loss, bad weather caused Spangdahlem F-16 crash in Germany, Air Force says. The website also publishes news from the Associated Press.
Stars and Stripes offer an opinion section that provides both left-leaning and right-leaning opinions such as this from a left-leaning perspective Congress, make election meddling illegal and this from a right-leaning perspective Trump peace plan hews closer to Israeli-Palestinian reality. In general, they report news factually, provide balanced perspectives and utilize low biased wording.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate Stars and Stripes Least Biased based on balanced, low-biased story selection. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 1/24/2017) Updated (08/25/2021)
Last Updated on August 25, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
The Latest from MBFC Bias and Fact Checks - Media News
- Ratings show Fox News viewers tuning out Jan. 6 hearingsby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 29, 2022 at 4:29 pm
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/29/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 29, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: KATU2by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 29, 2022 at 8:00 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 06/28/2022by Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 10:30 am
- Daily Source Bias Check: Chronicles Magazineby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 28, 2022 at 8:00 am
- Clarence Thomas signals interest in making it easier to sue mediaby Media Bias/Fact Check on June 27, 2022 at 4:23 pm