These media sources have a slight to moderate liberal bias. They often publish factual information that utilizes loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes) to favor liberal causes. These sources are generally trustworthy for information but may require further investigation. See all Left-Center sources.
- Overall, we rate the SFGate Left-Center Biased based on story selection that moderately favors the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record.
Bias Rating: LEFT-CENTER
Factual Reporting: HIGH
Country: USA (44/180 Press Freedom)
Media Type: Website
Traffic/Popularity: High Traffic
MBFC Credibility Rating: HIGH CREDIBILITY
The SFGate is a companion site to the San Francisco Chronicle, covering news and entertainment for the San Francisco Bay area. According to their about page, “Launched in 1994, SFGATE.com was one of the first large-market media sites in the world and served as the exclusive digital home of the San Francisco Chronicle for 19 years.”
Funded by / Ownership
SFGate is owned by Hearst Communications, which owns newspapers, magazines, television channels, and television stations, including the San Francisco Chronicle, the Houston Chronicle, and Esquire. According to Open Secrets, Hearst donated 70% to Republican candidates and causes in 2020. Advertising and sponsored content derive revenue.
Analysis / Bias
The SFGate covers news from the San Francisco Chronicle as well as entertainment news for San Francisco. They offer interviews with businesses, schedules, and local news reporting. Headlines reflect the content and generally do not use loaded words such as this Seven people wounded in four shootings in three hours early Saturday, police say. National and international news comes from the Associated Press.
Editorially, they do not provide dedicated op-eds, but they do cover politics with a moderate left-leaning bias. In general, they report the news factually and with a left-leaning bias.
Failed Fact Checks
- None in the Last 5 years
Overall, we rate the SFGate Left-Center Biased based on story selection that moderately favors the left. We also rate them High for factual reporting due to proper sourcing and a clean fact check record. (D. Van Zandt 5/24/2017) Updated (5/8/2021)
Last Updated on May 8, 2021 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/16/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 10:15 am
- MBFC’s Daily Source Bias Check: Infobaeby Media Bias Fact Check on May 16, 2022 at 7:09 am
- Finland will apply for NATO membership, president says, in historic move for traditionally neutral countryby newsfactsnetwork on May 15, 2022 at 11:56 am
- Gov. Hochul demands responsibility from social media companies after Buffalo shooting was live-streamedby newsfactsnetwork on May 15, 2022 at 11:54 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/15/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 15, 2022 at 10:15 am