Seychelles Government Bias
World Press Freedom Rank: Seychelles 13/180
Seychelles is ranked 13th in the 2022 World Press Freedom Index, compiled by Reporters Without Borders. The RSF report acknowledges the progress in press freedom and improved ranking compared to past years by stating, “More varied, more independent media.” The report also “highlights limitations with respect to plurality and funding.”
Media Ownership and Government Analysis
The Seychelles media consists of privately owned media outlets and the public service broadcaster Seychelles Broadcasting Corporation (SBC) owned media outlets. SBC receives funding from the government budget and advertising revenue, with The President of the Republic appointing the board members. The SBC owns and operates two TV stations (SBC1 and SBC2), two Radio stations (Radyo Sesel & Paradise F.), and a newspaper Seychelles Nation.
The print media in Seychelles is either state-controlled or privately owned but tied to the politicians. For example, The state owns one of the daily newspapers, Seychelles Nation, through The National Information Services Agency. The weekly People is owned by the political party Parti Lepep (United Seychelles). Another weekly, The Independent, is closely linked to the Seychelles Labour Union (SLU), with Ralph Volcère, the president of the SLU, serving as the newspaper’s editor.
In conclusion, state media dominate the print and broadcast media; therefore, there is significant government influence on the media. Further, political parties have power over the privately-owned press by directly owning media outlets or serving in management roles.
Last Updated on May 11, 2022 by Media Bias Fact Check
News Facts Network Verified Factual News
- Australia set to get new PM after Scott Morrison’s ruling conservatives projected to lose electionby Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 12:53 pm
- Biden says US has offered vaccines to North Korea but got no responseby newsfactsnetwork on May 21, 2022 at 12:43 pm
- MBFC’s Daily Source Bias Check: International Press Instituteby Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 10:15 am
- The Latest Fact Checks curated by Media Bias Fact Check 05/21/2022by Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 10:15 am
- U.S. stops controlled burns nationwide after New Mexico disasterby Media Bias Fact Check on May 21, 2022 at 3:43 am